PDA

View Full Version : Southwest NGs: Why no VNAV?

Pugh
30th Apr 2004, 03:04
Looking through some cockpit photos on SWA's NGs it appears they have no VNAV. What is the reason for this and are there any other major autopilot functions missing?

longarm
30th Apr 2004, 05:25
Might be wrong but I believe that the A/thrust is also disabled to allow guys to fly all series 737. (FAA requirement)

Kestrel_909
1st May 2004, 20:45
I could well be wrong, but someone told me another way of cutting a/c costs in purchasing.

If so, I'd have thought over the long term the efficiency of VNAV would have paid for itself.

Anyone else any suggestions?

seacue
2nd May 2004, 01:50
I'm just a lowly outside observer, but I understand that WN goes to considerable lengths to simplify the airline. They want all flight crews to be able to operate any of their aircraft without retraining. Someone in the airline has concluded that this makes economic sense for them. They have remained profitable through the tough last few years.

When you look at airlines with half a dozen aircraft types and a seniority system of bidding for crew positions, you see how much inefficiency the retraining caused by having multiple types can cost an airline - when carried to the extreme.