PDA

View Full Version : No-one wants to be a Flying Instructor

Straightandlevel80kt
28th Apr 2004, 21:06
I like to start my posts with a provocative headline to encourage people to look.

Actually, I'd quite like to be a flying instructor, but aside from FTO's offering their wares there's not a lot of information or advice out there in cyberspace about training, prospects and jobs in the real world.

It would be great to hear from some FI's out there about your experiences, such as what you think of the current climate (MET or otherwise!!), opinions on the best training route, supply vs. demand, what it's like as a career, and the ever-present issue of finance vs. reward!

Reply, your discretion...

High Wing Drifter
28th Apr 2004, 22:03
If it is any help and to maybe provoke more information, I hear that GA schools really like to employ FIs they have trained. It maybe best to look at a school that you would like to work at, and then do your FIC there.

moo
28th Apr 2004, 22:17
you would probably get a better response in the flying instructors forum (http://www.pprune.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&forumid=17)

:)

Send Clowns
28th Apr 2004, 22:50
At the moment there is work around. PPL flight instructors are not well paid, but they are not currently unemployed either, and once you have 500 hours instructing there is work flying CPL, especially if you did your FI(R) at a school that teaches CPL as I did, so standardisation is easier (only have 180 hours, but getting there!).