PDA

View Full Version : Confused! What would you do?

JetSetJim
28th Apr 2004, 13:39
It feels like I've been over all the options a thousand times in my head, so I thought maybe I should throw it open to all you ppruners in case you've been there or are in the same position...

Since I can remember I've wanted to fly commercially, so I will get there no matter what. It's more a case of the experience I gain along the way and how I fund the training. Here's a brief summary of my background:

12 good GCSEs, 3 A-levels (Pure & Applied Maths, Physics & Spanish), BSc (Eng) Aeronautical Engineering (2:2), 18 hours in C152 with family friend. Now 26. Graduated in 1998, temped for a few months to earn some all important cash, then landed a Marketing position, which gave me some great business and management experience, working up to Account Manager level. Quit in 2002 to go travelling, as I'd always wanted to explore South America and was faced with the dilemma of another promotion or living my dream.

I don't regret my year out in the slightest. I've got some fantastic memories, met some amazing people, and above all, it made me a better, more rounded person.

So here's my new dilemma. I've been doing some freelance marketing work in the four months or so that I've been back, but am eager to break into the field of aviation. Should I try and further develop my marketing experience in the aerospace industry or take a serious salary cut and get into ops/despatch (which would no doubt provide me with invaluable experience in the field and may lead onto other things once I've got a foot in the door)?

Obviously sponsorship is now a virtual no-go area for me as my age is becoming an issue. It really boils down to going for a job to merely earn the cash and work towards my CPL (modular), or gaining experience within the industry, with the hope of my role progressing (which from a financial point of view will make training more lengthy).

Any ideas or thoughts would be very much appreciated. :ok:

JSJ

P.S. If you're wondering why I haven't got my ass in gear sooner to work towards my PPL/CPL, well... it was just down to circumstances at the time. I now feel ready and fully committed to pursue my dream!

Straightandlevel80kt
29th Apr 2004, 15:05
I think whatever you do be honest with yourself and make sure you're enjoying life along the way.

I reckon that if you're in commercial aviation for the money or the prestige cut your losses and walk away. If it's about getting up at 3am in the rain and the snow because you just can't bear being on the ground when you could be in the air (or in a traffic queue on the M4) then go for it. If it's the latter, then it shouldn't really matter whether you fly airliners or bathtubs as long as you're earning a crust.

If I were you and I was 26 I'd make sure I had got my CTC-McAlpine application in, and I'd get a paying job I was HAPPY with in aeronautical engineering, then go and complete my PPL. I'd make sure I had enough cash to keep flying after getting my PPL perhaps to do an IMC initially while I waited for other sponsorship opportunities to come up later in the year. If I was really brave, I'd go and work as permanent Cabin Crew for EasyJet at Gatwick to see if I liked the aircraft environment and the shift patterns (and the orange uniforms!), purely because they are paying up to £17K rising to £20K, which might be more than many pilots are earning right now. But I'm not really brave, so that last bit's up to you!

The last thing I would do is throw my life away and risk my financial future in the current climate by getting up to my eyeballs in debt for a job that just isn't there unless you have £100K to throw at the problem and are a high calibre manager that the airlines are looking for.

Hope it works out!

NinjaBill
29th Apr 2004, 15:28
There is a big chunk of the CPL/IR that can be done while you are still in work and earning. You could continue to work, pass your ppl, start distance learning and pass the exams, (which you wont find hard with an aero eng background) and do all the hour building all without leaving work.

The face the decision of whether you want to leave work/take some time off for the CPL and IR. In the mean time, you are earning a decent amount of cash, and not getting into more debt. If you can save up a fair wedge towards the CPL/IR, then you will have a better change of persuading your frieldly bank manager to lend you some cash....

NB

JetSetJim
3rd May 2004, 18:36
Thanks for the PMs and advice.

Just to clarify.... I most certainly am not wanting to fly for the prestige or the money.

My main issue is deciding which area would be more favourable to work in during training and in order to fund it.... do I stick with marketing, go into ops/despatch, cabin crew or something else?

Given my background, what would put me in a more employable position, while making sure I've got enough to live on and fund my CPL/IR??

Cheers, JSJ :ok:

Finals19
3rd May 2004, 20:07
JSJ,

I too was (in many respects) in your situation. I began working for a major carrier as cabin crew 6 years ago, which seriously got me the bug for flying as a pilot. I would highly recommend the job as a way of gauging the environment and whether you would enjoy it. Whilst not up at the front of the plane, you see the whole operation on a daily basis and get first hand experience of what the crew has to cope with (i.e. operational issues - the daily hiccups that make commercial flying soooooo fun!!!:* )

As for making a difference to your employment prospects, that depends on who you work for and how you can market it .... (where you could put your current skills into practice!!) I have now left my cabin crew job and am out in Canada where I have completed a canadian CPL/MEIR, and am currently considering returning to the UK to convert (although this is not a given at the moment) As somebody else said on here, you can do much of your training whilst sandwiching it with a part or full time job. The crunch comes when you get near to completion and you need to put more time in or indeed put yourself into the aviation market and join the minions searching for work! That's when the gamble comes in.

I luckily managed to get a 45min session with the Manager of Flight Deck recruitment before I left my CC position. I told him of my intentions and what I was doing and he told me what I needed. It was very valuable, so working for an airline as crew might be a good idea - getting your face known could be an invaluable advantage.

Oh and as for age - don't worry too much about that - I am 32, and whilst being too old for any sort of cadet entry position, there is always DEP - Direct Entry Pilot - the cut off age for which is 49....

Good luck and PM me if you want any more info!!!!!!!!!:ok: