Hi everybody,

I need the exact definition (legal , FAR, ATC) of the term:

" Long Haul Flight "

Thank you much!
TC

:confused:

*Lancer*
28th Apr 2004, 14:07
Always thought it was a flight that required relief crew... don't have an actual definition though

Notso Fantastic
28th Apr 2004, 14:20
That's like asking what is the legal definition of 'wet'! Bit wishy washy. WHat would you consider 'Long Haul'? LHR-Nairobi? LHR-New York? LHR-Cairo? There are many definitions- I have seen SH 0-4hours, MH 4-8 hours, LH 8+ hours. Different countries have different needs for a relief crewmember, so there's no hard and fast figure there. Is it time or distance? Take your pick. The only real definition I can think of is Long Haul=a Long Way. I think you would have trouble pinning it down better than that. New York-LHR 6 hours? I'd put that as MH, but many would think of it as LH. No hard and fast figure because there is no hard and fast definition that would be accepted by all.

Turbine Cowboy
28th Apr 2004, 18:41
Interesting.
Thank you for your reply.

I think it is Flight time that governs the definition but I am not sure how to brake it down
I will wait for some more inputs..

Please keep'em comming

TC:ok:

BlueEagle
28th Apr 2004, 22:03
I'd be surprised if you can fined any definitive numbers for 'Long Haul', it's more a state of mind! A crew could be sitting around the pool in Sydney having arrived from London via a series of six hour sectors and several days, to them it is still Long Haul.

Generally accepted sector times, after the advent of the B747-400, were 0-4hrs Short, 4-8hrs Medium, 8-12 Long and 12+ Ultra Long Haul.

Please post if you find the definition published by any authority.

Blacksheep
30th Apr 2004, 06:43
Long Haul (http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2004/02/22/biz_delta22.html)

lou ross
2nd May 2004, 20:44
A Long Way= the longer segments of MH
A Long Ways= begins with the shorter segments of LH.
lr.

esreverlluf
4th May 2004, 06:55
The explanation from the"People Like Us" mocumentry went something along the lines of "Short haul ends at Brussels".

dusk2dawn
4th May 2004, 09:26
Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary :

One entry found for long haul.
Main Entry: long haul
Function: noun
1 : a long distance
2 : a considerable period of time; especially : LONG RUN
- long-haul adjective

PAXboy
4th May 2004, 13:46
Pax, of course, have different views as well! I would go along with the 0~4, 5~8, 8~12, 12+ as being a good guide to what regular trvaellers would consider the categories to be. An irregular pax (far too many of those ;) ) would reckon that five hours to Lanzarote is a long haul and, in charter pitch seats it would be. :p The reason I agree with the above times is that I will tolerate Y for up to 8 hours but after that I will move further forward in the a/c, even if I am paying my own way.

mini
4th May 2004, 19:40
Our mob consider Long Haul to be anything over 8 hours, then you get J class, or the cash equivalent and buy your own ticket - nice little earner sometimes - heh heh heh

:E