PDA

View Full Version : LPL - LHR Route

bmiboyz
27th Apr 2004, 20:19
Anybody have any more information regarding the LPL-LHR route that so many people have been talking about??? Who might be the mysterious airline??? Any ideas??? Is it ever going to happen???

no, no, no
28th Apr 2004, 14:28
The only ones really who could do it slot wise are BA (who aren't exactly in favour of short haul growth,. let alone domestic) and bmi, who have at least started new domestics recently to Aberdeen and Inverness - maybe this is where they see their strength - and it could grow further with Liverpool (which surely must be the biggest domestic market excl BHX & EMA without a Heatrow link?)

However, both bmi and BA do Manchester to LHR, so supposedly would already take pax from the Liverpool area on their flights - starting up LPL would just steal ffrom their own MAN flights - and with it being such a huge feeder route for BA, and the focus of bmi with shorthaul, regional, baby and longhaul flights, I can't see either of them giving it up?

Aren't VLM doing LCYLPL - apart from the connecting element, why would anyone want Heathrow when they have City?

Or is there a big local thing going on up there that anyone in the surrounding area doesn't want to travel from manchester just because it's in Manchester (like the old EDI v GLA arguements we keep on seeing???)

In fact just thinking about it - wouldn't bmi doing LPL and BA doing MAN be something like BA doing LHRNCL and bmi doing Teesside???? Is this an equal comparison???

Flightmapping
28th Apr 2004, 23:25
Doesn't the sheer volume of flights from MAN to LON (something like 37/day?) suggest that LPL could take a few more without killing it?

BMI would appear to be a more likely candidate, but I'm no expert on slots. The catchment population certainly beats the hell out of INV, even if the propensity to fly might not be so great. (Have bmi considered LHR > DND?).

I don't know how much MAN nearby reduces the need for some connections (e.g. why do LPL > LHR > ORD when you can do MAN > ORD direct), but there must still be plenty of routes where MAN can't really help much. The fact that LPL has no other feeders (EZ must have frozen out KLM & AF) would suggest it must be crying out for something. FR have already got Dublin covered, so the only other major feeder contender would be Lufthansa through Frankfurt. I don't think I'd want to take a bet on the chances of that happening...

aeulad
29th Apr 2004, 00:28
Bmi have no suitable aircraft to fly LHR-DND as the runway is too short at DND for the ERJ or the F100.

Plus, Scot Airways have what little DND-LON market there is already into LCY.

Logically, a LPL-LHR service would work, but in reality, I fear it may be a different matter, but I have no doubt there is SOME market there for such a route. Maybe a 3xdaily F100 LPL-LHR flight could do OK?

Regards

Mike

moleslayer
29th Apr 2004, 12:54
BRITISH MIDLAND, as it was then, operated LHR - LPL in the late 80's & early 90's using the old Diesel 9's.

Great nightstop, fantastic flying machine, but frankly there was no money in it !

Moley.

worldwidelad
30th Apr 2004, 10:48
If a LPL - LHR route was operating, then anyone from North Wales, Merseyside, and West Lancs would have easier access to Liverpool Airport. I think a couple of flights a day could easily be viable.

I would say the chances of BA operating this route are virtually none.

Has anyone heard about Easyjet planning a LPL - LGW?

spud
30th Apr 2004, 11:58
A bit off topic but is there a good way of getting from MAN to LPL and vice versa yet or is it still a 'pack sandwiches and a change of clothes' journey on the trains/bus or pay a cab driver half the value of his taxi ?

Flightmapping
30th Apr 2004, 13:18
EZ run a bus from central Manchester to LPL.
Otherwise its trains to city centres & local train to MAN via Oxford Road or bus to LPL. There do seem to be a few direct trains to MAN, but they take longer than the indirect ones. You can also alight at Hunts Cross for LPL.

WHBM
30th Apr 2004, 17:33
BRITISH MIDLAND, as it was then, operated LHR - LPL in the late 80's & early 90's using the old Diesel 9's.
It was DC-9s for a while, but then worked down through ever smaller aircraft types. IIRC it ended up being operated by Saab 340s.

Even from North Wales, to the west of Liverpool, it is easier to get to Manchester Airport (just stay on the M56) than to Liverpool (turn off through Runcorn and Widnes on normal roads). Hence why Liverpool had such low passenger numbers until Easy started to operate a style of service just not available at Manchester.

spekesoftly
30th Apr 2004, 23:40
It was DC-9s for a while, but then worked down through ever smaller aircraft types. IIRC it ended up being operated by Saab 340s.

Moley is correct - BRITISH MIDLAND did operate DC9s (Diamond Service) LPL - LHR from the late 80s until the service finished in the early 90s.

Prior to that, MANX had operated SD360s and the SAAB 340 on the same route.

And prior to that, BRITISH MIDLAND had operated the route with Viscounts and DC9s.

IB4138
1st May 2004, 06:35
spekesoftley

You are forgetting that midland used F27,s for a considerable period, before the route passed to Manx, not DC9s.

Busy Bee operated it for them for a while with their F27s.

spekesoftly
1st May 2004, 15:01
IB4138,

You're quite right. I had overlooked the BMA F27s, that replaced their Viscounts, pre-Manx. And your prompting reminds me that at least one of them was in fact an FH227. ;)

Mouser
1st May 2004, 18:14
WHBM , try M56 morn'in rush hour Wirral /Man it stops three times and when we get going it;s a 50mph gallop.

fruitcake
1st May 2004, 18:43
vlm runs 5 or 7 times daily lpl-lcy with the fokker 50

regards

PropellerPaul
2nd May 2004, 17:42
I've also heard that one too... EasyJet operating LPL-LGW. As the airline grows I think it's a real possibility. EasyJet Gatwick will eventually be an all Airbus A319 base, freeing up other aircraft for more routes around the network, we'll have to wait & see? :ok: