PDA

View Full Version : Leeds Bradford Summer 2005

LBAir
27th Apr 2004, 15:28
With the move into Robin Hood by Thomsonfly and Thomson Holidays. Is there any shock waves in the charter market? What charter services are expected for Summer 05 for LBA?

aeulad
27th Apr 2004, 15:41
According to KAT TOO, if DSA gets a cat 3 ILS, LBA will have virtually no charter flights by 2006, so would imagine that 2005 will start to see the end of charter flights from LBA, just like at HUY, he's the man in the know if you ask me!

Bewildered regards

Mike

Pembo330
27th Apr 2004, 15:48
I think any question marks about LBA's charter future are a little premature.

Just for completeness, can someone outline the differences between Finningley and LBA in terms of runway length/CAT and how these differences would be viewed by the airlines?

HOODED
27th Apr 2004, 21:43
LBA Runway 14/32 7382ft long 32 Cat 3 14 Cat 1 ILS. DSA Runway 02/20 9000ft long don't think it has an ILS but am sure it will have at least CAT 1 by the time it opens.
As for how the airlines view this who knows? Obviously the 9000ft at DSA gives more options whilst the CAT3 ILS at LBA is a strong point when the weather is poor. I'd have thought thet cathment area will have a large part to play and here LBA probably wins out but DSA has a large population on its doorstep too. Time will tell!

LBAir
28th Apr 2004, 11:30
To put the record straight. In the 80's LBA extented its main runway by 600m to the minimum required for restricted 747 operations. The airport said at the time airlines such as BA would be able to operate certain longhaul flights. The runway extension was opened by a Wardair 747 and a British Airways 747. The Wardair operated the first ever non-stop LBA-YYZ service.

In the 90's HUY extended its runway also claiming it would now be able to operate alongside the big boys MAN,EMA and LBA and claw back lost traffic especially charter. Airtours quickly moved in. Later in the 90's LBA gain 24hour operational availability and Airtours then opened up a LBA base. LBA Airtours traffic quickly expanded overtaking that at HUY. LBA claimed it would have 3-4 based charter aircraft 2-3 years following 24hour availability. The reality is that nearly a decade on, only 2 charter aircraft have based there.

The point being is that despite the LBA attempt to claw back some longhaul traffic having extended its runway, just didn't happen. Despite HUY extending its runway, it too has never really caught up with the likes of MAN,NEMA or LBA.

So just because DSA has a long runway I'm sure it will be an up hill battle for them. Peel Holdings have obviously done a deal with Thomsons to get them there in the first place. I feal the deal was part of a wider package. Thomsons soon moved into LPL and look set to base at Teesside, both PEEL airports.

DSA has a good catchment area like LBA and I am sure it will do well, but other than a small number of longhaul chaters, DSA is unlikely to gain any real longhaul foothold.

ANY UPDATE ON 2005 CHARTERS????

BEST L/CONTROLLER
29th Apr 2004, 21:52
Airlines are gonna use Finningley or what ever it's called because they wnat to not coz it's got a CAT3 ILS, LBA has a Cat3 ILS and we still get a/c diverting in low vis, FINNINGLY ROBIN HOOD SHEFFIELD what ever, it is not gonna affect LBA at all.

Lets wait and see who is planning to go in and who is planning to leave LBA to do so, untill then stop all this rubish about ILS.

CHEERS :ok:

aeulad
29th Apr 2004, 23:12
Thomson are starting flights to Zakynthos in Greece.

Regards

Mike

BEST L/CONTROLLER
30th Apr 2004, 00:19
Well that should say something then, Thomson Zakynthos won't affect LBA coz for the past 8 years LBA hasn't had a Zakynthos...

CHEERS!!!!:ok:

RAFAT
30th Apr 2004, 03:43
Having operated into LBA recently after a gap of several months, I have to say the runway surface is now in an absolutely terrible state. I am guessing that this is due in part to the increased usage by Jet2's 737s, and the associated use of reverse thrust.

Whatever the reason, it's sure taken a beating.

HOODED
30th Apr 2004, 09:53
I believe there is a NOTAM for runway closure overnight for essential maintenance. Late flights however, will be accommodated. This hopefully is some patching going on as the runway is starting to deteriorate. I would prefer the concrete be resurfaced with asphalt along the full length and who knows they could even level it a little in the process to iron out the hump!
BTW Zakynthos is a new route for TUI ex LBA but only at a loss of other routes. Perhaps Jet2 are starting to hurt the traditional tour operators.
Still yet another year goes by with no Florida. Oh well maybe if the 300m starter extension does go in they'll be more likley to look favourably at it and stop the Yorkies having to go to MAN for their transatlantic holidays! Look at Newcastle and it's local catrchment area and they have regular Florida flights, come on LBA must be deserving of at least a weekly service.

LBAir
30th Apr 2004, 14:22
Sunset tried Florida a few years ago using Britannia 767-300 equiptment. They had to cut back the services in the end, due passenger loads.

ILS 119.5
30th Apr 2004, 18:35
"ashphalt" melts in the summer. The closures are for annual maintenance and the runway surface is OK.
Don't forget the 2 747's who operated the football flights for LUFC.

Optical Illyushin
30th Apr 2004, 18:45
:confused: ??? Even ice cream doesn't melt in Leeds!!!:confused:

FairRosamund
1st May 2004, 09:29
14 destinations from robin hood even rhodes crete ,now LBA dont go to those places so holidaymakers say from leeds have to travel to east mids or manchester, lets hope they have a rail link for the new airport LBA is hard to get to :ok:

LBAir
1st May 2004, 17:45
The best thing LBA has to offer new airlines or services is the customer base which already exists. It does not have to find the business like those 'WILDERNESS' airports. If any airline chose to pull out another would takeover most of the routes. This happened when Capital Airlines went bust, nearly all the routes were taken up by other airlines within weeks. The charter market is still finding its feet after the tremours from the LOCOs. When things start to settle down new charter services will start to come on stream. I expect Greece will make a comeback, the spanish market it almost filled by LOCO operations. I feel it is only a matter of time before another major tour operator base at LBA like FCA, who appear to be making more of a presence these days with day trips etc. Only time will tell.

chiglet
1st May 2004, 20:24
best LC,
Finningley has a "Cat111 ILS". That really is interesting.
Q 1. When was it installed?
Q 2. When was it last "Flight Checked"?
watp,iktch

BEST L/CONTROLLER
2nd May 2004, 23:47
I'm not thick and I understand your questions but what are you actually getting at???? I never said Finningley has a cat3 ILS!!!!

LBAIR!

The Florida flt had always been planned as a one off for people going on a 2week holiday it took them out via MAN and brought them back in direct from MCO and that was on a B767-200 not 300!!

Also if you remember they tried it again this time to Santo Domingo the flt was planned to go via SNN from RWY32 all the pax on board were obviousley LBA pax none to be picked up in SNN but the wind suddenly changed for a RWY14 dep and the flt went direct, oh my god when I saw that thing get airborne I couldn't breath, well you could not call it airborne as the thing didn't climb very well just went off the end over Leeds without much climb, that was also on B767-200.

Wish they would do more!!!!

CHEERS!!!!!!:ok:

chiglet
3rd May 2004, 11:41
Sorry blc, I must have miss-read your post

Airlines are gonna use Finningley or what ever it's called because they wnat to not coz it's got a CAT3 ILS

watp,iktch

BEST L/CONTROLLER
3rd May 2004, 16:39
If you look at some earlier posts they were saying as soon as Finningly gets a Cat3 ILS all charter traffic would leave LBA all I was doing was pointing out that Airlines are gonna want to use Finningly coz they want to not coz it has a Cat3 ILS so I didnt actually say it had one..

Your appology is accepted:ok:

CHEERS!!!!!:ok:

LBAir
4th May 2004, 19:09
.............So ANYWAY!!!!

Any update Summer 2005?????