PDA

View Full Version : BHX - Not enough choice

martinhardy
27th Apr 2004, 11:46
Hi all,

I live in birmingham and i will try my up most to fly from bhx at all times. The trouble is i just cant, im forced to EMA or now CVT. There is not enough low cost choice. Im like anyone else, i looks for bargains, the cheaper the better.
Now i get the feeling, that bhx just cant pull in the LLC's why is this? I think its because of the close proximity to say EMA and CVT. If say easyjet or bmibaby, was to give up NEMA and come to bhx, they would loose most overall airport operations at NEMA. So i guess this wont be done.
Im personally glad to see Ryanair go, i think they are a very pointless airline.

A year ago, i was able to go to spain for £20 - £40 with Mytavellite, if i grabbed the good fares. Now, im flying out next week i had to pay £70 to AGP. However, it seems a resonable price, in relation ot other airlines.
The one thing that really bugs me about mytravellite, well lets face it they only fly to Spain. Guarenteed business i suppose. I would like to see more choice to say France and Italy.

Is mytravellite finishing the end of summer 2004 and becoming just a seat seller for Mytravel?

Sorry i know i moaning, but need a moan.

Basic question is what is the LLC future for BHX.

I've already been forced to use CVT in June to CIA, having refused to travel from NEMA, i avoid it where i can.
Have to see how i go with CVT.

Let me know what u all think if u can understand my message, LOL

Ta raa a bit

Martin

Avman
27th Apr 2004, 12:54
Yep, I too find Brum lacks choice. I imagine that the airport management are not commited to attracting LCCs. To be honest, without a third terminal I doubt if the present infrastructure could cope with a successful high frequency LCC operator.

martinhardy
27th Apr 2004, 14:31
Come on Guys, put some more input into this debate. Im sure with the current two terminals, there is enough capacity. I think T1 is under capacity, not sure though. Always appears empty.

Come on come in on this debate what views on BHX

aeulad
27th Apr 2004, 14:49
I have to say that the low cost/fares choice at BHX is'nt as bad as you make out.

Aer Arann, Aer Lingus, BA, Czech Airlines, Duo, Flybe., Helios Airways, Mytravel lite and Ryanair all offer some excellent and very low fares out of BHX In addittion to this, many cheap seats are available as seat-only packages through Thomson.co.uk, First Choice and Thomas Cook.

There is more of a blurred line these days between the traditional low fares airlines such as easyJet and Ryanair and the likes of BA and Duo for example. There is sometimes very little in it, and some of the 'full service' airlines can even be cheaper on occassion.

Whilst I agree there is certainly more scope for low fares flights out of BHX to places like Amsterdam, Nice and Rome, BHX does'nt do THAT badly really :)

Regards

Mike

martinhardy
27th Apr 2004, 14:53
I have to agee with you on that point, i think its the scope that gets me, there is not enough european scope from Birmingham. Personally low fares to France, Italy, and Germany, Would do it for me.

You are right the trad scheduled airlines, do offer services lower that LLC at times, and thats when i take the opportunity. I can get to places from BHX but involved alot of costs.

Why is mytravellite drop AMS, was it the loads?

Martin

Avman
27th Apr 2004, 16:01
My guess is that KLM Cityhopper offered more frequency and better timings for just a few quid more (if you booked early enough). But why did DUO drop AMS?

aeulad
27th Apr 2004, 16:12
I think there is a big enough market BHX-AMS and AMS-BHX to warrant a second carrier. I think Flybe. could actually do well on the route, it is well within the capabilites of the Q400. Alternatively, Duo, but I think in order to compete with KLM on the route, a suitable business timetable would have to be used, with early out and late back in particular.

Otherwise, I think there is a market for low fares/cost flights from BHX to Madrid, Lisbon, Ibiza, Mahon, Bilbao, Valencia, Seville, Amsterdam, Paris, Nice, Milan, Rome, Venice, Florence, Munich, Athens, Aberdeen, Belfast BFS, Geneva. I'm sure there are more than this, but not sure if the market it getting pretty saturated at the moment. Suppose we will have to wait and see what happens with Coventry.

Regards

Mike