PDA

View Full Version : Codes

igb56
25th Apr 2004, 18:35
Correct me if I`ve not sent this to correct topic. This is an anorakal question from an anorak posting his first message. Why does Astraeus use AEU code for charter and Iceland Express workings and uses 5W for Malta and Manebo? What`s difference?:E

FinalsToLand
25th Apr 2004, 18:43
most/all airlines have both 3 letter codes and 2 letter codes,

I think AFAIK one is for charter services (AEU?) and the other is for sched services (5W).

same as FCA for first choice charters and DP for scheds,

I'm not 100% sure on this though.
F.T.L

brabazon
26th Apr 2004, 12:25
2 letter codes are set by IATA hence for scheduled services.

Additionally airlines have 3 letter codes set by ICAO, so scheduled operators have two sets of codes and charters who do not operate scheduled services just one.

narcisuslpl
9th May 2004, 23:23
Roughly on the same subject... Why do easyjet use their 3 letter code EZY and not their 2 letter code U2, as Ryanair use their 2 letter code FR (Not sure what their 3 letter code is...RYR??)... Both these carriers operate scheduled services but easyjet use a charter code for their flights???

This is something I've not understood for a long time!!!!

Thanx in advance

Hamrah
9th May 2004, 23:30
Finals to land,

You have it correct. For Astraeus' part, we use 5W, which is our 2 letter designator for our scheduled services only. The AEU flight number system is for charter flights which may vary in frequency and timing. We also use the AEU flight number when operating on behalf of Iceland Express, as they ( not being an airline) would not have their own designator.

H

Approach_plate
9th May 2004, 23:53
scheduled operators have two sets of codes and charters who do not operate scheduled services just one.

All airlines have a 2 letter identifier set by IATA and a 3 letter identifier set by ICAO.

E.g. Britannia and My Travel are both charter airlines. Britannia's codes are BY/BAL. They use their 2 letter code for their flight No's where as My Travel use VZ/MYT and they use their 3 letter code for their flight No's. So the theory on charter/scheduled using 2 and 3 letter codes is thrown away on that one as the airline can choose which identifier they want to use.

Boss Raptor
10th May 2004, 10:54
I believe in theory on a good day with a following wind

Not all airlines have both a 2 letter IATA and 3 letter ICAO designator...each is subject to individual application and operators needs

the IATA 2 letter code is the only one used on a Computer Reservation System which is what travel agents use to sell tickets direct to the public - whether this be 'scheduled' or seat allocations/blocks from charter carriers which are allowed for sale direct to the public (not as part of a package holiday)

the ICAO 3 letter designator is used by ATC and some airports show this on arrival/departure screens as the data is ATC computer based

So if you are a charter carrier and not selling seats on a CRS then you dont need/have an IATA 2 letter code - just the ICAO 3 letter one which in many cases is the only one a carrier will have

Britannia and MyTravel both are allowed to sell some of their seats direct to the public (via CRS or similar) hence possibly use of both and also certainly in the case of Britannia their code was issued many years ago when ATC also used the 2 letter designator in parallel to IATA...in the end ICAO ran out of 2 letter options and had to go to 3