PDA

View Full Version : Agression by passengers

Coastrider26
22nd Apr 2004, 18:38
Does anybody know which treaty or ICAO/IATA part deals with passenger agression towards flight crew/not following orders by Flight crew?

Cathar
22nd Apr 2004, 19:16
The Tokyo Convention deals with offences on aircraft and is likely to cover the issues that you are interested in:

http://www.iasl.mcgill.ca/airlaw/public/aviation_security/tokyo1963.pdf

So far as I am aware the Chicago Convention and its Annexes do not cover passenger offences although ICAO has been looking at the issue.

OzExpat
23rd Apr 2004, 07:30
Neither the various Conventions nor ICAO Annexes are law, by themselves. Laws are drawn up by each country to make them into enforceable local law. Therefore, you will need to refer to your own country's aviation regulations.

Coastrider26
23rd Apr 2004, 22:11
I agree it must be the convention of Tokyo that talks about this. Unfortunately I can't open the page at this time. My ATPL books are 3.000 miles away but is the Tokyo convention still applying after the door is opened.

Somewhere in a dark corner of my mind there's voice telling me that after the door is opened the plane is under jurisdiction of the country the plane is standing in.

This after a passengers did leave the plane on a military base after I indentified myself as the pilot instructing him to go back to the plane because of his own safety. And there after treatened me with physical violence.

mini
24th Apr 2004, 21:38
Hi Guys,

International Law, i.e convention approved instruments, is dependent on each contributant country introducing the various offences into its law list.

International Law per se does not exist, it is a "moral law"

When an individual commits an offence, it can be punished in the juristiction (airspace) of the relevant country, if they have adopted the offence into their law code.