PDA

View Full Version : America or Somewhere else??

bagpiper
22nd Apr 2004, 13:02
I've heard from a number of people that America is the place to go and do your flight training at, but does anyone disagree? I know of people who have gone to South Africa to do their CPL's and various other places too.

keeno
22nd Apr 2004, 16:59
oh dear.....here we go again...the classic debate as to whether to do your training in america or in the UK...

the obvious choice would be the states because of the reduced cost at which you can learn to fly at, and of course lets not forget the sunny weather..that always helps to get the through the course nice and swiftly....however......upon return to the UK, if you have never flown in the uk, get use to the airspace and the restrictions that apply and also learn how to read and decipher our lovely maps (of which the new ones just came out).....i am of course assuming that u have done everything out there in america, test and all....

my choice though would be to stick with the Uk all the way..it may be more expensive, and not as many sunny days, but you get use to the airspace and laws and RT and general flying....i would only use america to build my hours....and show the slack americans how real pilots fly..

keeno

anymore views people?...

A and C
22nd Apr 2004, 23:09
The USA is not slack !. Its just not up its self like some in british aviation.

The Ground exams may be much harder to get in the UK but this is just so much JAA sh1t most of the stuff is thirty years out of date and the new stuff so vauge as to be usless.

When it comes to the flight test the FAA system is much harder and required you to think in real time rather than the trained monkey approach of the JAA . OK so the FAA may let you push the limmits a bit more on alt & hdg but this is only when the examiner has asked you to divert to a place that you have never seen before and you are trying to get the Jepps out.
Its all a far cry from the UK IR where you have done all the options in training and all is telegraphed well ahead of time.

Both the FAA CPL/IR and Flight engineer tests were much harder tests of real practical airmanship than the very structured tests that the CAA dreamed up.

The American system has about the same accident record as the UK so why are these people so gash ? they are clearly not littering the USA with aircraft wrecks !.

The answer is that they are not .........its just a few of the europeans are so far up them selfs that that cant see the truth or have to invent this supiriority to fuel there own ego's .

The last question I have is why if the British are good with aircraft why dont we build any aircraft ? ( all we can do is subcontract to the French at Airbus )

Fly Ginger
23rd Apr 2004, 06:42
I have just returned from two years in Canada, cpl multi/ir and a year of instructing. For the people who preach that this way is better than that, i would say to maybe open their eyes a little 'cos there is a big old world out there.

Nothing will ever beat a little bit of leg work, what works for one person might not work for another. South Africa and Australia are maybe closer in training to the uk, and you might be able to reduduce the overall cost doing it this way. However, if granny is ill maybe overseas is'nt the right descision.

I have been fortunate to meet many international students, many would say that they are more rounded individuals for taking the plunge and moving overseas to follow their dream for all sorts of reasons, not all financial.

Follow your heart, but always use your head!!

johnnypick
26th Apr 2004, 05:30
Keeno, have you ever actually flown in the US?