PDA

View Full Version : Airbus Handling

-<M4v3r1ck>-
22nd Apr 2004, 12:59
Hello,

Was just perusing the A320 manual thrust thread and wondered a little bit about Airbus handling. I speak as a physics student about to start PPL training.

I've read a little on how the Airbus's FBW system operates but comments from those who have actually had a play would be interesting :ok:

I think I am fairly well versed in how a normal aircraft operates e.g. power/attitude effects etc. but I understand the Airbus FBW system is drastically different. I read a comment that moving the stick aft "commands a change in g-load" - does this mean that if I put some aft stick input and then return to neutralise I'll have a pitch change which will remain constant after the stick is neutralised? i.e. there is no need for trimming etc.? Some kind of auto-trim? Hope this is marginally coherent...!

One more thing - when converting to type I'd imagine, if the system is so radically diffferent, it would be extremely difficult to "unlearn" all those conventional rules of thumbs/instincts?

Simply a little curious,

Thanks for any input (conventional or otherwise),

Mav :O

oldebloke
22nd Apr 2004, 16:57
One gets used to the auto trimming very quickly-just rotate to the attitude and watch the trim index settle down.Like the auto thrust just set and leaveit alone..But when one gets a SIM exercise with the autothrust U/s it takes o minute or twu to 'remember' the pushpull the powerlevers.:O

Phoenix_X
22nd Apr 2004, 17:50
Maverick -- you are correct in your assumption.

Very, very simply put, it comes down to the FBW holding the attitude you set. Easy to learn, easy to fly. It just takes a few minutes in the sim, and you're done.

The problem comes -- I'm afraid -- in converting back to a conventional aircraft, and learning to trim all over again :yuk:

-<M4v3r1ck>-
24th Apr 2004, 20:28
Thanks for the comments,

Mav :)