PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar International Airlines (Virtual Airlines) to sue Qantas

Panman
21st Apr 2004, 14:59
I could not believe this when I read it!!

..it hits the fan (http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/notams04/jets0421.htm)

Snifferdog
21st Apr 2004, 15:57
It really does not matter whether Jetstar are a virtual airline or not, being the owners of the registered trademark has to make them the winners in this story. Good luck to them. I hope they get satisfactory compensation. :D

dallas dude
21st Apr 2004, 16:17
If the intellectual property has really been "lifted" by Qantas domestic low fare division, why file in the US?

I've not seen it advertised in the US, although Jetstar's plastered all over Sydney etc. Are we to believe it was folks from the US overwhelming this virtual site?

An Oz court would seem a better choice for success, unless this is just about someone making a quick buck off a virtual website.

dd

Avman
21st Apr 2004, 17:38
Not so sure they would get a fair hearing in Oz. Anyway, better chance of winning in the U.S.

chiglet
21st Apr 2004, 21:14
AFAIK, Air2Bobs "Original" rtf was goingto be "Starship", this logo was all over the cabin of the first 2/3 aeroplanes......but a 2 a/c company in the States already had that c/s, so the rtf became "Jetset".....may be an urban myth, but that's wot I wuz told.
waip,iktch

Rabbit
22nd Apr 2004, 01:41
Wonder what the NEW name/logo is going to be :O :O :O

Maybe TAA :confused: :confused: :confused:

Have a nice day

Farknel
22nd Apr 2004, 05:57
In the case of Trading names and the like, it is my understanding that unless JetStar Airlines (virtual) had already registered the name in Australia, then the name was available for anyone to pickup and use.

A well known example in Australia is the case of Burger King, who when they intially wanted to start trading in Oz (many years ago) could not do so as some enterprising "entrepreneur" had already registered the name. They subsequently traded under the name of "Hungry Jacks" for some time. Burger King now trades in Australia under the Burger King name, however I did read that some money changed hands to "buy" the Australian rights to the name.

My point is that it seems to be a matter that can only be dealt with in an Australian jurisdiction and it may be that Qantas were the first to register the name and form a legal entity based on that name, in Australia. Therefore it's theirs....in Australia.

Would be interested to read other points of view.

Pom Pax
22nd Apr 2004, 17:09
Well Woolworths Oz's 2nd biggest supermarket chain exists because F.W.Woolworth & Co. didn't bother to register the name downunder. So this sort of sets a nice precident for Qantas.