PDA

View Full Version : A life outside the cockpit?

What to do?
20th Apr 2004, 11:06
Hullo

Might seem like a strange question for the wannabe section, but what do pilots do when they stop flying, or (god forbid) they become medically unfit? I'm asking because the flying game presents a famously unpredictable job market and it would be great to hear about the/any options before . . .

Cheers

P.S. I understand that you could open a doughnut van in Doncaster. I'm asking specifically about jobs related to aviation, or those which use some of the skills obtained through working as a pilot.

expedite_climb
20th Apr 2004, 12:00
Most guys flying jets in the UK will have some form of loss of licence cover as part of the salary package.

For example this may pay out 3*Salary and then permament health insurance of 2/3 salary.

redsnail
20th Apr 2004, 12:02
It depends on why you had to stop flying and how old you are.
If you had to stop because of age rules, then you can hop over to another company that doesn't have such a low limit on age. If the age limit is a state one, you can sometimes fly for a company that doesn't fly over that airspace.
If it was a medical reason then you have a couple of options depending on the severity. Some go on to instruct if they can get their medical back (albeit with restrictions). If it's a total no go with the medical then ground work is the only thing left. There's many areas available, you can teach ATPL subjects, type rating ground schools, sim instructing. The choice is limited by your ability and the market.

deathcruzer
20th Apr 2004, 17:12
Wow ..... Expedite –Climb….which insurer is that?...best I've heard is 2 times salary, taxed of course......
And thats the lot.....Next stop Tescos....
:suspect:

scroggs
22nd Apr 2004, 11:19
Our insurance in Virgin pays about 2 x salary immediately plus 75% of basic until your notional retirement date. It will also top up any salary you get elsewhere to that 75% figure, if all you can get post-illness is a job in McDonalds or B&Q!

Many pilots (at least in longhaul) start businesses while still flying, with the intention of throwing themselves into the business full time when they retire from flying. Others get themselves involved in the management of their airline. A large minority have no intention of working whatsoever post-retirement.

Scroggs

A and C
22nd Apr 2004, 23:20
I will just get the big red tool box out full time if the worst happens to me and they pull my medical.

Come to think of it the last chief engineer quit at age 80 and the one before him is still alive age 95 so I see a bright future for me long after they stop me flying big jets as the kids of today dont want to get there hands dirty !.