PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle in Hong Kong

PUDDY
19th Apr 2004, 14:41
Hey everyone,

I am going to be moving to HK this year to start with Cathay. I was wondering if it was possible to bring my Motorcycle over there and what there restrictions/limitations are.
If anyone has any info on this it would me much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Puddy

Cpt. Underpants
19th Apr 2004, 22:46
If you're importing a bike that was originally built for the UK market, it should not be a huge problem - other machines will have some mods to be done - some big, some small. It involves things like the headlight, turn signals, colours of the lenses etc.

There is a conformity document (a checklist) of features and (believe it or not) emissions controls that the machine must conform to. You will have to contact the Hong Kong Department Of Transport for the list.

If it doesn't conform, it will be out of here on the first boat pretty smartly.

In addition, there will be a first registrations tax to pay, for a new bike it's 110% of the new (dealer) price, which decreases on a pro-rata basis for a number of years. If it's a vintage bike then there is still a residual tax to pay.

After import, the bike will have to be road-worthied and emissions tested by the HKDOT, at your expense.

It's a time consuming, frustrating and possibly expensive business - be warned.

If you're taking a job with CX in HKG I would presume you're starting as a S/O. If that's the case, you would be advised to have your nose in the books for the first few months, not messing about with the HKDOT. Slack off at your own peril.

Finally - Hong Kong is not bike friendly. Drivers are agressive and inconsiderate, and often make unsignalled turns without checking blind spots. There is not much designated bike parking, so you're always jockying for what little space there is. Hong Kong experiences hot, humid weather for a large part of the year - leathers (if you don't wear them, you're asking for nasty road rash) are a must but turn into science experiments when the weather turns. Your bonedome will need regular disassembly and washing or your best friends will run from you. Strange creatures will start dropping from your hair. Every un-oiled part of your pride and joy will rust.

Have fun - it still beats a car!

christep
20th Apr 2004, 06:05
The Transport Department has a farily comprehensive website. Try starting here:
http://www.info.gov.hk/td/eng/services/lp_menu_index.html
or here:
http://www.info.gov.hk/td/eng/services/vehicleimport.pdf

GWN type
25th Apr 2004, 07:24
Jizzmonkey, what motorcycle do you have for sale and how much?

Please continue this discussion by either PM or email. Thanks. BE