PDA

View Full Version : Why do you want to fly?

Straightandlevel80kt
18th Apr 2004, 12:56
The most difficult question I had to answer in every single airline interview I have attended is "Why do you want to fly?"

I would like to know why you want to fly. Don't tell me what you think airlines want to hear, tell me what it is about flying that makes you want to do it more than anything else.

redsnail
18th Apr 2004, 14:22
I am only truly happy when there's some air between me and the ground. Whether it be 100' :E or several thousand it doesn't matter.

Then again, I am equally ecstatic when fanging my Ducati along a nice road with a good view too. (Thinks, Cook Hwy to Pt Douglas)

dickon
18th Apr 2004, 20:37
The physics of flying really interests me and the amazing freedom that the ability to fly gives you. (If you can get your hands on a damn plane.:ugh: )

The peace of the air and seeing busy buzzing streets of stressed out people below while you glide freely where ever you might feel the need to go. Just after seeing the most spectacular sunset behind distant stormy clouds.

The adrenalin rush of bouncy turbulance thinking that this old banger of a plane is never going to survive and pulling out the other side with sweaty hands and a feeling of satisfaction after some pretty mean flying!

Thats about it I think, jesus that was like poetry but is really how I feel:)

G SXTY
19th Apr 2004, 07:54
Because I love it!

The feeling of freedom, the view, the teamwork, the challenge of safely piloting an aircraft from A to B, the satisfaction that comes with that. Flying is an absolutely unique experience – there is nothing else like it.

hifive11
19th Apr 2004, 12:30
A Similar question was posted a few months back - 'why do you want to be a pilot'. The answers tended to be along the same lines, basically "I cannot put it down in words, I just do".

It is a nightmare question at interview but maybe honesty is the best, 'I just want to fly but cannot answer why, it is an instinctive and overwhelming feeling'.

You cannot second guess the interview panel and they have heard it all before anyway. They would also probably be hard pushed to answer the question themselves.

:D

Nineiron
20th Apr 2004, 00:24
It beats working for a living.
If I didn't fly I'd have to go and get a proper job.

snafu
20th Apr 2004, 19:59
I can't put it any better than my two favourite quotes..

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

"The cockpit was my office. It was a place where I experienced many emotions and learned many lessons. It was a place of work, but also a keeper of dreams. It was a place of deadly serious encounters, yet there I discovered much about life. I learned about joy and sorrow, pride and humility, and fear, and overcoming fear. I saw much from that office that most people would never see. At times it terrified me, yet I could always feel at home there... Though it was a place where I could quickly die, the cockpit was a place where I truly lived." - Brian Shul - "Sled Driver"

18greens
23rd Apr 2004, 17:55
I agree with hfive11 you can't put it into words.

However I had a wierd experience the other day. I was talking to a colleague at work who found out I flew. His response was along the lines of 'Why would you want to do a thing like that' as if I had just told him I stick pins in my eyes at the weekend for fun.

I've come across people who hate flying but can understand the pleasure you can get from being off the ground and are jealous of the fact you actually look forward to the flight to go on holiday. But this response absolutely floored me. I couldn't think of a thing to say to explain it other than an ear to ear grin and something along the lines of 'Its great'

I think the best bit about flying is after all the preflight and planning and taxiing and waiting you finally line up and when you leave the ground you transition into another world not constrained by contact with something solid. Mr Magee put it so well when he quote'Slip the surly bonds of earth'. You are then in dream world where time warps and at the same time stands still until the wheels touch the ground again and suddenly you are back to normal. Until the next time.

I took a guy up a couple of weeks ago and when we were refuelling after the flight he just stood there and said 'Flying's great isn't it'

Its a stupid question its just great.

Junior Flash-Up
23rd Apr 2004, 20:43
This morning I did a trial lesson with two "students" in which I found myself near Matlock (Peak District) at 7000 feet. The weather was CAVOK, visibility must have been 80 kms or more and the air was silky smooth. I could see from Matlock to Liverpool and along the North Welsh coast, far into Lincolnshire to the East, beyond Sheffield to the North and Birmingham to the South. Later, after descent, I spent a moment watching our shadow racing across fields, gardens, houses and roads, outrunning everything in sight.

While taking in this spellbinding vista, I realised this:-

1- An hour can be a very short space of time!
2- There is no better office.
3- It is very easy to get jaded and cynical about this industry when involved in it full time, but days like today serve to remind me about why I got into it.

"If you have to ask, then you'll never understand"

tonker
24th Apr 2004, 13:54
Of course what you really want to say is

"Well i suppose it would be the big mechanical thingy with lots of flashy buttons, good looking totty, stacks of cash, an ever changing office on and off the ground. The smashing uniform, meeting old school chums who have thrown in the towel and surrendered to mediocrity and telling them what you drive now, and by no means least ummmm it's just bloody good fun"

Un pc and i'm sure not the correct hymm sheet and all that, but I bet pretty close to the mark i'd say.

Good luck anyway and enjoy