PDA

View Full Version : Tui start Robin Hood

MEFLYBE
16th Apr 2004, 13:28
Thomson/Tui are basing a 757 at Robin Hood, and plan to establish the airport as a second Thomsonfly base.

Regards

Mike

Flightrider
16th Apr 2004, 14:59
So entirely consistent with Thomsonfly's policy of picking airports that haven't been built yet for its operating bases, then.

garethjk22
16th Apr 2004, 15:01
Robon Hood Doncaster Sheffield is well under the way to being built and will be ready for the commencement of flights in March.

Such fantastic news, 5 based aircraft from the worlds largest travel company, now if that is not a huge vote of confidence in the UK's newest airport - I don't know what is.

A bright future ahead I think, roll on Robin Hood Airport!

MEFLYBE
16th Apr 2004, 15:27
Unfortunately, I think this rules out the possibility of HUY gaining a low cost airline.

I am confident the ABZ, AMS and the majority of the Holiday charters will survive though :)

Regards

Mike

Buster the Bear
16th Apr 2004, 17:03
Thomsonfly to operate from rebranded RAF Finningley

TUI UK’s low-cost carrier Thomsonfly is the first confirmed user of RAF Finningley, the airport on the Yorkshire/Nottinghamshire border which has been renamed Robin Hood Airport.

Thomsonfly services from Robin Hood will go on sale before Xmas, with the routes announced shortly. Thomsonfly will base four planes at the airport and hope to handle more than one million passengers a year.

The carrier is about to enter a high court battle with Warwick District Council over an alleged planning breach at its launch airport Coventry International.

As well as Thomsonfly flights, TUI has said that its S05 brochures, out at the end of the month, will offer departures from Robin Hood. The airport is capable of handling long-haul flights.

The airport is owned by Peel Holdings, a listed UK property developer. Its Peel Airports division also owns Liverpool John Lennon and Teesside International airports. It has a target for Robin Hood of 2.3m pax per year.
http://whipsnade.co.uk/picturelibrary/jpeg150/br/brown_bear_120_wide.jpg

Optical Illyushin
16th Apr 2004, 18:19
Robin Hood....? Makes a change from Robin passengers I guess!

That was a joke by the way........ (not neccessarily a funny one but there ya go!)

:E

Buster the Bear
16th Apr 2004, 19:31
Buster was told (As reported on this forum in the past), that TUI were looking at (Ex) MOD airfields to start bases.
http://www.gifs.net/animate/airplane.gif

Ian Farquharson
16th Apr 2004, 19:31
Expect to see Coventry included in the Thomson Summer 05 brouchure to be on sale shortly.

Ian

CentreFix25
16th Apr 2004, 19:41
Just out of interest, where exactly is the airport? and which existing airport(s) will feel the impact most (already figured out Humberside), whats the distance to LBA and NEMA.

J.

garethjk22
16th Apr 2004, 20:24
The airport is located south east of Doncaster and North East of Sheffield. The airport is aroud 30-40 minutes drive to Leeds (city), around 30 minutes to Sheffield. It is 3-4 miles from both the Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire borders.

Humberside may feel a slight pinch, but the airport is providing capacity in a region with limited airport capacity.

Before everyone points out LBA and HUY - they do a sterling job, but the fact remain 5 million passenegrs a year leave the region to catch a flight (mainly ex MAN and LON) and the propensity to fly from the region is seriously behind other regions - a direct result of limited direct services.

Robin Hood Doncaster Sheffield (DSA) is likely to stimulate new demand and potentially as the airport develops offer long haul rotues, a capability the region currently does not in all practicality have, and one which is much in demand.

almost professional
16th Apr 2004, 21:44
just because an airport has the capability to offer long haul does not mean it will happen or be succesfull-and all finningley has is the runway at this time, certainly the charter outfits prefer to offer long haul from just a few departure points, not something that will change overnight
can't see NEMA being overly affected by this development, maybe humberside/leeds and manch to a lesser extent, but it will be interesting to see how Peel intend to recoup the £80 million pounds investment from airlines that will not pay the airport a reasonable rate for the privilige of using their facilities!

LBAir
17th Apr 2004, 19:56
Garethjk22..... I couldn't agree more with your comments. The Yorkshire region as a whole is well underserved and Robin Hood Airport I am sure will create new traffic rather than pinching it from other airports. If any airports are to feel a pinch it is likely to come in order of MAN, EMA, HUY before LBA.

When LBA gained 24 hour operations, the BBC interviewed the MAN MD who said he believed that the LBA would not really effect MAN. The LBA MD said he wanted to compliment MAN flights. BOTH MD's were right given that MAN handled 20m PAX in the last year.

I honestly believe Robin Hood can work alongside MAN, LBA, HUY and EMA without effecting passenger loads too much at the other airports. JET2 at LBA say most of the passengers are from the LEEDS BRADFORD HALIFAX area and they don't expect the Robin Hood airport to do much ROBIN!!

I think HUY is possibly at risk of loosing some charter traffic though. The LBA is too close to its catchment area for any tour company to risk pulling out and moving south. All that would happen is another one would move in given its superb catchment area.

From YORKSHIRE:ok: the place to be is the city of Leeds/

FairRosamund
2nd May 2004, 05:51
from may 2005 flights to 14 destinations looks like Britannia will be the main operator,any 1 know of any other airline to be based there.

found a site about the new airport if any of you have more web pages let me know cheers.

http://www.doncasterfinningleyairpo...fset/mplans.htm

forum see what others think: http://www.finairweb.co.uk/welcome.htm

JOBS at robin hood finingley:
http://www.bassetlaw.gov.uk/index/c...x-txt-img-2.htm

LTNman
2nd May 2004, 06:13
So Britannia intend to base 5 aircraft at RHA and yet base only 2 aircraft at LTN, which has the UK’s second biggest catchment area after Heathrow. I guess those 5 aircraft will become 4 and then 3 if and when other airlines start to operate from there.

Buster the Bear
2nd May 2004, 11:38
4 X Thomsonfly
1 x Britannia Airways
http://whipsnade.co.uk/picturelibrary/jpeg150/br/brown_bear_120_wide.jpg

Flightmapping
12th May 2004, 20:54
What would be the best way to abbreviate:

Doncaster Sheffield Robin Hood South Yorkshire Former Airbase International Airport into one word, to put on a map?

Shame we can't have a poll on this forum.

I can't call it Sheffield because of SZE.
Doncaster is the closest large town.
The airport is in Finningley, but I wouldn't put Kegworth for EMA.
Robin Hood just sounds stupid.

DSA is the code, but who knows that yet.

So I guess that makes it Doncaster, by default.