PDA

View Full Version : Flight Training in Los Angeles, CA.

G73DC
15th Apr 2004, 12:35
Good afternoon,

In approx 4months I will embark on an intensive 3month training program based in Riverside, CA - i.e. www.allatps.com's 'Fast-Track' 90-day program. Training covers: Multi, IR, CPL, CFI-I, CFI-II and approx 250hrs including 3hrs jet time (C500).

A couple of friends have suggested I buy a plane and hire an instructor as a cheaper option to the USD$37,000 for ALLATPS. This sounds good, but not sure about the logistics.

I am a permanent resident of the US and accomodation is provided (free) in Los Anglese - hence the choice of location.

I am seeking help with:
1) ALLATPS, Riverside, CA. -- Review's, comments etc?
2) Has anybody completed this program with ALLATPS and have anything good to say about it?
3) Can anyone recommend a 'good' instructor based near Van Nuys or Camarillo areas?
4) Any other recommendation?

Thanks in advance,
Damian.

onehunga
15th Apr 2004, 16:51
Damian,

Some help with point 4 (sorry no idea about the other 3):-

- do a search on allatp and Riverside and see if anything relevant has been said
- do you want to fly in the US once you qualify or come back to the UK? If UK then you will need a JAR licence which will mean the conversion of your foreign qualifications. Amongst other things the sitting of 14 bl**dy hard exams! Again search on conversion and you will get hundreds of threads about the ins and outs
- I have no idea about the FAR's but think that you might be able to find out something on the FAA website (or buy one from Transair or similar - FARAIM is its name) to see the legalities of having an instructor teach you in your own plane. In the UK there are rules covering the remuneration of instructors and they differ depending on whether the aircraft is public or private category
- search on the private flying forum for information on purchasing aircraft - lots and lots of pitfalls, lots of benefits
- I am not sure buying an aircraft for your training is the right answer unless you could syndicate it and maybe cover the costs from other people. Reasons are that you will likely train for your PPL in a light single, do some hour building in the same, go onto your commercial on a more complex aircraft (eg: Arrow) and then multi (obviously on a twin engine) and maybe more multi hour building. 3 different types of aircraft alone.

Good luck.

willbav8r
15th Apr 2004, 17:22
AllATP's have a good reputation. However, it is intense. You should be fully prepared ahead of time for the writtens, and if really on the ball, have them done before training.

You can avoid a couple by combining (i.e. Instrument and Instrument Instructor as one exam).

As you know the program offers a lot of Multi time (Seminole). The three hrs right seat, "SIC" jet is IMHO not likely to mean much in your logbook - but the experience will at least give you some background to turbine ops.

As for purchasing a plane and flying with an instructor, you could buy a Seneca or Seminole (look at insurance before you do) and fly your nads off for a few hundred hours then sell it. Be prepared to cough up a lot of cash for maintenance (did I mention Insurance?).

But to do the above, you obviously need the ratings (Private, then Multi).

If I were you, I would investigate AllATP's at Riverside first hand.

BTW I am in N Cal, and have NOT attended ALLATP's. Just thought about attending myself at one point, and got a lot of gen on the operation....

Blue Skies.

3 in trail
16th Apr 2004, 05:15
Damian, good questions. My Brother-in-law is right now in his second week at allatps at RAL. He just took his multiengine private after the first five days. willbav8r had it spot on. Majorly intensive!!! But that is what we figured would be best for him. (34 year old waiter, who is ready and able for a major life change.) It is expensive, but not nearly what it would be if you purchased your own aircraft. (did willbav8r mention maintance and insurance?) I am a pilot at a major American airline and we did quite a bit of research on what would be the best program for him at this stage in his life. (he had a private with 85 total time, but only 10 pic cross-country. We paid allatps for the additional 15hrs required cxctry needed for enrollment at $50 an hour/with instructor in a c-172, smokin deal.) The multi time is what I think makes this the best deal out there. He has no college degree, so some of the other longer courses that incorporate other studies did not interest us. But I dont know where you come up with the 250 hrs of paid for time. It is only 200hrs total, with 190 multi-engine, and 50 of that is in their non-motion simulator. Only 140 hours Seminole time.

Hope this helps, and hope the Boddingtons dont show too much!

3 in trail

G73DC
16th Apr 2004, 21:08
Yes, I also heard it was an intensive course - work hard, play hard - right?!. It is greatly reassuring to know that Pprune users also praise the program. Thanks to everyone for your replies.

I currently hold a PPL(JAA)+ night rating with FAA endorsed license and have flown approx 100hrs with 50hrs x-country. These hours include a B727 simulator and Citation500(not logged).

Also, I've been studying the Jeppesen Instrument and Commercial Manual religiously - an amazing resource to have!.
Subsequent to qualifying, I will be taking the corporate pilot route, rather than the airlines.

I stand corrected on the total hours - indeed it is 200hrs, not 250hrs as previously stated.

Thanks again and keep those Boddingtons rolling...

J o e r g
18th Apr 2004, 10:47
1) ALLATPS, Riverside, CA. -- Review's, comments etc?

People: competent & friendly crowd
Airport: good infrastructure

2) Has anybody completed this program with ALLATPS and have anything good to say about it?

Come prepared ... know the basics and read / study ahead.
They are NOT going to teach you the basics and how to
fly. They prep you to meet PTS.

How much time do you have in PA44s?

3) Can anyone recommend a 'good' instructor based near Van Nuys or Camarillo areas?

If you join ALLATPs ... you're not going to need another CFI(I).

4) Any other recommendation?

I can recommend you a DE (examiner) ALLATPs (Riverside)
works with. He's a friend of mine and is probably the most
correct & friendly guy around.

Pls feel free to contact (by eMail) me if you have further Qs.

Best,

JOERG

www.FerryPilot.de
Joerg at Joergsworld.com

G73DC
18th Apr 2004, 15:32
Joerg,

Your comments are very much appreciated. I will contact you via email.

Thanks,
Damian.