PDA

View Full Version : Help on Colour Blindness

Oakesy
15th Apr 2004, 07:52
Hello to all,

This is my first post so please be gentle with me !!

I have a question which I was hoping someone could help me with.. And in the words of MLK "I have a dream" for a number of years of becoming a pilot, my career has taken me in a different direction because I am red/green colour blind.

So the question is it impossible to become a commercial pilot with this condition ? Or is there a chance that I should look into ?

Thanks for your help.

:confused:

Great Circle
15th Apr 2004, 08:22
Hi Oaksey,

I hate to say it but you can't get a Class 1 Medical if you are colorblind. I have a friend that is colorblind that flies though. He had gotten a Class 1 Medical for the first time 10 years ago and then couldn't pass the color test recently. He had to get written permission from each state that he flies over or lands in. But the waver is only good for 1 year. After that it is not looking good. He flies cargo commercially within a Nordic country. I don't think any airline will hire someone that doesn't have a class 1 medical and needs all the special attention. Sorry, just my opinion though.

Good luck,

GC

BOAC
15th Apr 2004, 10:37
You'd fare better here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=62) in your enquiry