PDA

View Full Version : 41 and feeling Lucky?

Gecco
14th Apr 2004, 16:13
I know, not another age type question, but I have to ask!

Do you think I'm mad? You see I know I love flying (x country glider pilot for past 15 years and share in jodel) its just that I feel I really want to fly for a living. The big down side is that I'm 41! I am in the fortunate position of having the money to finance to frozen ATPL and a share in a Jodel d18 to hour build. I also have the support of my family.

I'm not looking for someone give absolute answer but perhaps scale 0-10 for madness and 0-10 for chances of working (including considering bush pilot). Any comments/advice welcome:O

gdnhalley
14th Apr 2004, 17:12
Gecco
I got my PPL at 31, flew on it 13 years mostly paradropping. At 43 got my class one medical, after a change in eyesight rules, 44 had my fATPL issued and at 45 am in my first TP job, and loving it.
I thought I was mad when I started my ATPL stuff, but I'm another who would have always wondered, if I hadn't tried. Been very lucky to get employed so quickly. There does seem to be some companies who like older pilots although not always the ones you might expect.
my guesses
Madness 7/10
Job chances 5/10
good luck
gdn

Polish Erek
14th Apr 2004, 17:17
I donot understand this madness 0-10 but if you are thinking of flying training at age 41 I would maybe give it a good looking at, the job world is going up and jobs are becoming better here in the UK, The job world accrss the european union has openned up to all and so england will not be your ownly hope of workwhen lisence is passed.

Good luck

Erek

Mr Magoo
14th Apr 2004, 19:06
My advice for what it's worth, DON'T DO IT MATE, forget the "things are looking up" bull and keep yer money in your pocket,

Qualifications to say this? well I'm 41, 1100 Hrs CPL/IR, JAA instructor, ATPL groundschool lecturer and can't even get my CV past the first PFO stage because, (and I've heard it first hand from a major TP recruiter,) I'm too old and considered a training risk!.

Well of course I think that's bollox - why does my age make me a training risk compared to some early 20's sub 200 Hr numptie off an integrated course with a few hours solo, a couple of land aways and a pile of PICUS to show in their thin little logbook?

Rant over - I'm off to put on my zip up tartan slippers, get out the pipe and flick through the latest Stannah stairlifts catalogue whilst sipping my pre bedtime sanatogen.

Any recruiters reading this and looking for someone with a bit of personality and experience of both flying and life - I'm looking for a job, (still) and I'd be pleased to hear from you.

Magoo