PDA

View Full Version : Training Scheme 'Gap Years' - do they exist?

bazzaman96
14th Apr 2004, 02:02
Dear all,

This is my first post on here (having posted on a.net before), and I wondered if anyone could help.

I'm in my second year of a law degree at Cambridge University, and applied to a few training schemes earlier this year.

In terms of experience...not much. Academically, I'm on for a 1st from Cambridge, have six a-levels (physics included) - AAAAAB, 11 GCSEs (8 A*s and 3 A*s), and a few other things too. I also own and manage two companies while at university.

I was told by CTC McAlpine that I was good enough to get onto the selection process for their training scheme, and I would have hoped to have done well.

However, as I'm in my second year they wrote me a really nice letter saying they'd like me to reapply next year, as my grades were good, but that I had to finish my degree before applying.

My question is therefore this:

As a law student, most lawyers apply for their jobs (career) in their 2nd (penultimate) year. I haven't found any airlines or training companies that do this - they all want people to have finished their degrees.

Are the any schemes that WILL accept people on 'deferred' entry, like gap year students applying to university? It's so frustrating having a year to go and knowing that I can't apply in the meantime! Does anyone let you apply for 2005?

I've applied for the GAPAN PPL scholarship for this summer, during the university holidays, so will see what chance, if any, I get of that.

We live in hope!

Many thanks,

baz

152wiseguy
14th Apr 2004, 14:14
Not bloomin' likely. Airlines find it difficult enough to predict in advance how many crew they will need in any given year. I know your situation is different but airlines dont seem to be in the habit of waiting for applicants to prance around on a gap year if they do need people. However with your qualifications you would no doubt be in with a good chance when you are in a position to apply.