PDA

View Full Version : Continental to UK

mmeteesside
12th Apr 2004, 16:21
This summer CO will serve (in the UK) LGW, BHX, MAN, DUB, SNN, EDI, GLA. So, are they looking for more flights into the UK, and if so, where to? Heard they were looking at BRS/CWL as well as NCL for the next two destinations in the UK

mmeteesside
MME Movements (http://www.mmemovements.tk)

Callum Johnstone
12th Apr 2004, 16:28
Would imagine STN must be a strong contender too? And perhaps BFS?

FlyCorkInternational
12th Apr 2004, 16:30
Just a small point of clarification, but neither SNN nor DUB are part of the UK.

crewboi83
12th Apr 2004, 16:50
CO has planned to op NCL-EWR 2 yrs ago on the 752, however, BA blocked this, saying that they had a huge amount of pax doing NCL-LHR-EWR/JFK and it would be taking away there business.

AC was also planning on YYZ-GLA-NCL-YYZ on the 762 but was blocked due the same reason as CO

I think its about time we had some decent long haul up north, after MAN all u have is AC's GLA-YYZ, CO's GLA-EWR, and AA's GLA-ORD and thats about it!

Would love to see CO in NCL! the airport is really doing well, really taking shape..... expanding all the time, would like to see runway extension and more gates tho! makes you nervous watching the TCX/MON A332 taking off !!!

Phil Dubai
12th Apr 2004, 17:38
COA already tried Newark from Stansted and binned it quickstyle, can't remember the reasons though!

eurostar builder
12th Apr 2004, 17:45
Would be great to see COA in Heathrow

GrahamK
12th Apr 2004, 17:52
COA already tried Newark from Stansted and binned it quickstyle, can't remember the reasons though!

September 11th 2001

MerchantVenturer
12th Apr 2004, 17:54
There was a thread on PPRuNe a couple of months ago about Continental and BRS. The BRS management has been pushing hard for a number of years for a daily EWR route. Their team visited the US in January.

As a result both Continental and American are undertaking route evaluations.

CWL are also believed to be interested but seem to be playing things a bit more closely to their chests.

I can't see both BRS and CWL having a route to EWR.

If one of the two does get the route it might be a question of whether BRS's recent success in attracting carriers and passengers is considered a bigger ace than CWL's longer runway and (possibly) access to start up subsidies.

Callum Johnstone
12th Apr 2004, 18:07
September 11 also had the effect of 'delaying' the EDI service by two years. But CO ultimately re-instated their plans.

I'm sure STN has every chance of winning its service back too. I'm sure a daily 757 would be feasible, and very attractive to many people in the Stansted neck-of-the-woods when faced with the alternative 'slog' to other London airports.

rock737
12th Apr 2004, 18:24
You'll probably all object, but what about NEMA, surely this has potential, its never considered as competing to BHX and it would take all traffic from most parts of Yorkshire, the east midlands and possibly east anglia and the south midlands. East Midlands would definately i beleive benefit from a daily CO757. It seems a lot more likely than CWL, i'd say its likelier than Bristol but just about as likely as Newcastle. East Midlands needs the boost of a few long haul schedules to add to all these low cost european flights and charters which will accumulate nearly 5 million pax into the airport this year!

What are your thoughts, you'll probably all disagree since EMA hasnt been mentioned yet:hmm:

Callum Johnstone
12th Apr 2004, 18:27
I guess everyone's been thinking of new routes from the UK to CO's EWR hub.

But here's a thought: how about MAN-IAH?

nclfan
12th Apr 2004, 18:40
So does this mean that ncl could get trans-atlantic flight from any-one, don't care who or where. Or have they given up since previous denials?

MEFLYBE
12th Apr 2004, 19:49
I think dedicated non stop summer only CO 752 could be viable from Bristol, Newcastle, NEMA, London STN and Belfast BFS.

Combine BFS and NCL in the winter and also BRS and NEMA. STN could stay with a dedicated flight.

Regards

Mike

DC10FAN
12th Apr 2004, 19:51
Referring to post "CO has planned to op NCL-EWR 2 yrs ago on the 752, however, BA blocked this, saying that they had a huge amount of pax doing NCL-LHR-EWR/JFK and it would be taking away there business.

AC was also planning on YYZ-GLA-NCL-YYZ on the 762 but was blocked due the same reason as CO"...How exactly can BA block these services?? Since BA is clearly not interested in long haul services from Northern England or Scotland then Continental/any other carrier should be allowed to operate any services they like.

Flightmapping
12th Apr 2004, 21:31
I think its about time we had some decent long haul up north, after MAN all u have is AC's GLA-YYZ, CO's GLA-EWR, and AA's GLA-ORD and thats about it!

US Airways will begin service to Glasgow, Scotland nonstop daily from Philadelphia on May 10th, 2004. The seasonal service continues through October 29, 2004.

Icelandair offer some fantastic stop over opportunities via KEF.

Also, EK just launched DXB from GLA. Would EDI's runway be long enough to sustain this service too?

mmeteesside
13th Apr 2004, 08:20
I wouldn't be surprised if CO announced another batch of routes for next summer soon, then

mmeteesside
MME Movements (http://www.mmemovements.tk)

MerchantVenturer
13th Apr 2004, 10:35
BRS management have been working hard for a transatlantic scheduled link for a number of years and local press reports here at the time suggested they were close to one when the Twin Towers outrage occurred.

Since then they have embarked on a very public campaign called Project USA which has included visits to airlines in that country and a high profile initiative to attract business support in the region (there is a pop-up questionnaire addressed to business people on the airport's official website). The aim is for a 'New York' (EWR) service by next spring.

A recent BRS press release suggests that 139,000 people from 'the region' (not made clear whether this is the entire south west or that bit around the former county of Avon) use LHR each year for flights to the USA. It is projected that 100,000 annual pax would use a direct flight from BRS. Furthermore research shows that 315,000 North American passengers would visit the south west region every year. I don't think it is suggested that they would all use a BRS direct link. If they did it would require a daily B 747 rotation and that would be out of the question at BRS.

Finally, the press release asserts that the 'west of England' (do they mean the entire southwest government region?) is 'the largest unserved catchment area to the USA in western Europe'.

A hotchpotch of figures, some vaguely contradictory, but in the end it will be for an airline to decide whether such a route would be viable.

Ian Farquharson
13th Apr 2004, 18:48
Continential are serving BHX twice daily this Summer, this equates to over 20,000 seats per month.

The service will reduce to 11 per week for Winter 04/05

Ian