PDA

View Full Version : virgin A340 go around

Ystwyth
11th Apr 2004, 21:26
anyone know why a Virgin 340 did a go around aboud 1530 this afternoon at Heathrow

Notso Fantastic
11th Apr 2004, 21:41
Are we really getting to the stage where along with Air Safety Reports, every go-around or abandoned take-off has to be fully explained in Pprune Rumours & News? Bit of a sad state of affairs, non? Even on the Audi Forum, they don't have to explain why a TT was on the hard shoulder of the motorway this afternoon!

No comment
11th Apr 2004, 21:58
Good call Not so Fantastic

Had enough of these now!

RowleyUK
11th Apr 2004, 22:05
Because somebody moved the runway!!!:E

bluesafrica
11th Apr 2004, 22:07
Maybe there there was a bunch of pink , yellow and green easter bunnies pulling the eggshell wagon cross the runway.
Blues:bored:

Notso Fantastic
11th Apr 2004, 22:26
'Sweating handsome pilot swerved giant red deathjet out of the way at the last minute, avoiding another almost deathjet filled with terrified children, missing it by just 1500 feet as the children screamed (for their kiddy packs), whilst the horrified stewardesses removed their lifejackets (after the safety demo). A safe landing was later achieved (but it could have been another disaster if they crashed). Reports filled in and Pprune notified.'

Ystwyth
11th Apr 2004, 22:37
Ah a bunch of experts. it was a simple question. sorry to have bothered you. I now realise that you are too important to answer a question from somebody who is a regular user of your industry.

Avman
11th Apr 2004, 22:41
Perhaps we should ask Capt PPRuNe to create a "Go Around" forum. We could also have a "Where Was That Four Engined Plane Over Toronto Going To" forum. :rolleyes:

Ystwyth
11th Apr 2004, 22:49
do enjoy your ivory tower

filejw
11th Apr 2004, 22:55
The poster should understand that a go around is part of normal ops.It's when you don't go missed that you invite problems.

yintsinmerite
11th Apr 2004, 22:59
Perhaps we should ask Capt PPRuNe to create a "Go Around" forum.

Or a 'someone did their job!' forum
Or, 'someone in 23D spilt their tea' forum
Or 'someone spots a journo' forum

bafanguy
11th Apr 2004, 23:02
Ystwyth,

What these gents are trying to say is that a go-around is a normal part of flying and is more likely a sign of good judgement than poor performance. Just another day at the office.

Plus, it's unlikely anyone here would have any idea why a specific flight went around. There's no "Ivory Tower" here...just a bunch of professional aviators, most likely.

P.S. It's OK to ask questions...

ukeng
11th Apr 2004, 23:20
Maybe the starter of this thread was a passenger on the said flight and was just curious to know why it had a go around??
No need to jump down his throat, if you are really that bothered about similar posts just don't answer them.

Guess you'll be telling me to clear off too next ?? :mad:

Techman
11th Apr 2004, 23:34
Oi You...clear off!

ukeng
11th Apr 2004, 23:38
:D Should have seen that one coming.....

broadreach
11th Apr 2004, 23:43
Ukeng,

:D I think you have to take it for granted that people jump down the posters' throats at over half the questions asked on here. Some of the replies may seem harsh but I expect Ystwyth got the message that go-rounds are normal. Hundreds every day, all over the world, usually performed specifically to annoy ATCs in their (not so) ivory towers.

Milt
12th Apr 2004, 09:37
Next question will be

What is an Air Pocket which lots of aircraft seem to fall into!!

EDDNHopper
12th Apr 2004, 09:49
Milt,

what a d&mb question! Everyone knows that itīs a trap set up by the infamous Mr Heath Row, the Avenging ATCO who got fired because he couldnīt handle the amount of incoming flights...

And now off to JB...

A300Man
12th Apr 2004, 10:16
To the original Post

Sir/Madam

To answer your question, yes i did see the go-around, from my bedroom at a nearby hotel. It was an A340-600 and, although as everyone has noted above, it is a normal part of everyday ops, it was quite dramatic to see just how agile the A346 was when it climbed steeply and banked away to the south at almost right-angles to the runway. Very impressive.

I personally think that the cockpit crews enjoy doing this sorta thing once in a while, so long as there is no immediate danger.

The A346 is a beautiful machine.

To the professional drivers out there - are such go-around manouevres carried out using an autopilot function, or does the captain manually do it?

Thanks for answering.

A300Man

AFA
12th Apr 2004, 10:51
If the autopilot was still engaged it stays engaged. If it had already been disconnected we initiate the go-around manually. Actually, there are normally two of us up there so whoever was flying pilot performs the go-around, not just the captain.

cessna l plate
12th Apr 2004, 12:11
To the original poster
Please forgive us all, but as has been said before, this is a normal operational procedure. As a learner I practise these with regularity, so that when the time comes to do it for real, I can without alarm.

The reason for the acidity is that Fleet Streets "finest?" are not averse to banging a post on here in a similar vain, waiting for something boring to come out, and then splashing "Jet in near death incident" across the fromt page, quoting "industry insiders" as the source for the CR*P they write.

What the go around means is that the flight crew exercised good airmanship and judgement, and ultimately did what they are paid and trained for. Thats all, now can we have an end to this sort of post please. Those interested should buy Trevor Thom volume 1, and those trying to make a page 1 out of sod all should buy a ticket to Madrid and join their mates harrasing the Beckhams.

Rant over!!

flyhardmo
12th Apr 2004, 14:15
Ah PPRUNE. I love it!
The insightful comments of proffesional aviators sitting in front of a computer where the oxygen levels are too great, so we get awesome responses like the ones on this forum....
Keep em coming.....:E

A300Man
12th Apr 2004, 14:21
AFA,

Sorry. I used the word "captain" in error. I do, of course, concede that there are two "pilots" up front, and that either could have been "driving" at the time.

Sorry for the generalisation.

Was BD700 a leased aeroplane? You refer to its regn as ZS-ESA?? Sorry for being so inquisitive.

Ystwyth
12th Apr 2004, 14:55
Well folks

Thank you for the response. Some pointlessly Ars*y but most very informative. I take the point about the mundane aspect of a go around. Thank you for the education.:cool:

FlyUK
12th Apr 2004, 15:12
A300man, i wouldn't worry about your comment. The answer to your question is neither were "driving"....cos the airbus flies itself...the pilots just sit and watch it do it! :E

Expedite :ok:

p.s Wonder how many people will take offense to that? :p

Oshkosh George
12th Apr 2004, 18:49
I think BD700 could refer to the aircraft type-not the flight number!

A BD700 is a Bombardier Global Express,and not British Midland 700:cool:

srjumbo
12th Apr 2004, 19:33
Exciting life A300man, eh? Sitting in your hotel room watching aircraft landing. Should have been down't pub!

Doors to Automatic
13th Apr 2004, 13:30
Ystwyth

Most go-arounds at LHR are caused by the aircraft in front not vacating the runway. ATC posters on this forum from LHR estimate that on average there is one such incident per day.

Unless the weather is very windy (as on March 20th this year) it would be rare to see a go around for any other reason. On March 20th a number of aircraft went around because of crosswinds out of limits during gusts.

In both instances this is a completely routine procedure for which crews are well prepared. Most modern aircraft (particularly twin-jets) have very powerful engines which can get a fully-laden aircraft off the ground should one of the other engines fail during the take-off run. Thus when a landing aircraft (lighter weight) experiences a go-around and full power is applied there is an enormous amount of power available to get the aircraft out of harm's way very quickly.

Drap-air
13th Apr 2004, 17:14
What comes around, goes around! :D :D

Kestrel_909
17th Apr 2004, 13:23
Yes it does get a bit tedious every go-around and aborted take off being reported. If it get's any worse it will be why the XYZ321 had a slot delay yesterday:E

I try to hold my 'excitement' when I hear one and just make up my own reason from given information, but don't blame people for asking.

BTW, Why is the MYT flight from Alicante into BFS late today by a few minutes? :8

joking ofcourse