PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on soft landing

flyinghiro
10th Apr 2004, 16:36
Hello, I'm currently working on my single engine commercial license at a well-known aeronautical university. I wanted to ask this question here because I've heard different opinions from various pilots:
Is it actually better to land "firmer" during strong gusty crosswinds?

Pinga
10th Apr 2004, 17:44
I always thought that the airplane "made the decision" ie stalled onto the runway.

Did you mean to ask: Is it better to fly the airplane onto the runway in strong gusty crosswinds? I hope not!

OneIn60rule
10th Apr 2004, 18:25
landing in x-wind conditions. I think that landing soft is always a good thing but in case I have a severe x-wind then I'd rather not make it any harder on myself. (But instead make a firmer landing)

I have made at least 15 x-wind landings and it doesn't get easier if the wind is blowing at a none stable rate. Drawing conclusion from this then I believe that it is indeed better to land firm.

Pinga
10th Apr 2004, 18:37
Plese educate me how to land "firm":ooh:

Charlie Zulu
10th Apr 2004, 18:37
After quite a few hundred crosswind landings it doesn't get any easier if the wind is gusty...

I was taught to make a "firm" (read not "hard") landing if in gusty crosswinds with less or no flaps selected. However I was taught at a nice airport with a long asphalt runway.

However you state you are practicing soft field landings... in this case I would still try to make it a bit softer than you would otherwise on an asphalt / concrete runway as its supposed to be a "soft" field landing after all - you wouldn't want to slam an aeroplane down on wet grass do you?

Are you using Mooney's for the Commercial? If its the University and Daytona my isntructor did hers there and said they used Mooneys which are even heavier in the flare than the Arrow IV... if so good luck! ;-)))

This probably doesn't help much but its my 2p worth.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

flyinghiro
10th Apr 2004, 19:32
I'm using the Cessna 172 and Piper Arrow at ERAU in Daytona Beach, FL. I found the low wings handle crosswinds better than high wings.
I just wanted to know if I can legally use the excuse "hey, its better to land firmer in strong winds" whenever I make a hard landing on a gusty day :ok:

Pinga
10th Apr 2004, 22:46
You still haven't answered, do you me a flapless landing or do you mean a fly it on landing?

flyinghiro
11th Apr 2004, 03:45
Pinga- What I meant was, should I try to making it a nice greased landing, or should I worry more about bringing the airplane on the ground quicker. By quicker, I don't necessary mean HARD but a good impact with the ground.
In regards to flaps, all the instructors have told me to use less flaps when its windy...Usually, I don't use full flaps on a windy day

El Desperado
11th Apr 2004, 04:13
Don't mess around trying to grease an aircraft on to the ground when conditions are against you. By all means go for it on a nice clear day with a bit of headwind - it's good for morale and stops your brain from repeatedly impacting your skull, shortening the evening's beer session with your pals.

If you float on a crosswind landing the aircraft is only going to go one way... downwind. You put a bit of aileron in to stop that happening or land wing-down, perhaps on one wheel.... the longer you are in the flare the more aileron you have to put in.

You'll get away with it in a PA28 / C172 etc. You won't get away with it in a King Air, a Dash-8, a 737 or an A330. You'll scrape a pod, drop one of the wheels onto the grass or scare the hell out of your captain as you blow the spoilers if you don't manage either of the previous. If you're on a commercial course, start thinking commercially. Land it. Put the wheels on the runway at the point you aimed at... do not accept halfway down the runway or on one side of the centreline. Finesse will come later.

Firmly plant your aircraft on the tdz. Get that nosewheel down and remember it's not over until you've turned the engine(s) off. Flying club 'greaser' heroics have no place in commercial aviation, especially when it's gusty or wet.

Some aspects of light aviation differ from the big jets and turboprops - regardless of the wind conditions, you will almost certainly be using full landing flap in an airliner, which would be a a little pointless (and adding hard work for yourself !)in a 4-seater - but some things don't change. I'll say it again.. LAND IT !

My own humble recommendation is get into practice now - it'll be a lot easier when you get that first job :ok:

flyinghiro
11th Apr 2004, 07:10
Thanks for all the posts. I'll be spending hours in the sim and on the plane practicing x-winds before my final checkride!