PDA

View Full Version : wings and wheels for hourbuilding??

PaddyMcGinty
8th Apr 2004, 22:35
I'm going to florida for my hour building and was fairly keen on either britania or debonair. I came across wings and wheels the other day from a post and the rates with them seem to be even better. Have any of you flown with them? How do you find them? There's planty of details here on debonair and britania but now wings and wheels. What are the people like? Please share your experiences, good and bad.

Thanks,
Steve

Pinga
9th Apr 2004, 09:04
Debonair and Britannia are known runners and the airplanes do flyeven if they are somewhat old. Both FTO's are ok but the rates at the two above are pretty well at the bone so where is the saving going to be achieved? Personally I wouldn't use an FTO unless it was known to a few people here who at least have seen the aircraft and spoken to the punters. It's amazing how many extra costs suddenly appear just when you are most relaxed about achieving a good deal. What about fuel surcharges? what about the credit on fuel purchased away? what about insurance? what about minimum flight hours charged per day? what about if a day is unflyable due to weather - are minimum hours charged?

If wings and wheels doesn't go right, it might be a wing and a prayer for you!

T1000
10th Apr 2004, 23:40
I have just returned from Florida, doing some hours building at FLYOBA, up near Daytona beach in a bargain bucket C150.

Is Debonair stationed at Titusville? Fantastic location down there, clear views of the NASA facility, though the once-granted request of doing a touch and go on that shuttle landing runway is now a distant memory.

FLYOBA was an experience, outwardly the C150 had a 'rustic' look, but the facility was friendly, social nights et al, and no major constraints on the hire(no landings on grass strips). Paid a $100 'optional' insurance, which was the only extra cost. They refunded $1.25 per USG for fuel bought away from base. Very cheap out there, no landing fees make it so much easier, and Orlando/Daytona airspace right next door to practice R/T.

Wherever you go enjoy your hours building, and it was 30 degrees/SKC last week. Plenty of chances for crosswind landings though.

Good luck
T1000