PDA

View Full Version : from hong kong to another base?

Mikey21
7th Apr 2004, 15:13
Not a cathay yet, but curious!!!

What is the procedure to be based somewhere else when the time come?

Let's say i want to be based in Paris or Sydney, but I am not Australian nor French?

Is this still possible? does Cathay do the neccessary paper work for me to be able to be based there or do i have to do the paper work myself and obtain an immigrant status or....
Before i can request to based there?

I would be interrested to know has I will soon have 2 citizenships, and would love to live in Aus, but my country doesn't allow me to have 3 citizenships????????

I know it might sounds a little waco, but i Love Australia :cool:

Let me know if you are british, canadian or whatever and are based soemwhere else but Hong kong, how what the way to get there.

Thanks,

Mikey.

404 Titan
7th Apr 2004, 22:40
Mikey21

Cathay doesn’t take any responsibility for any immigration matters for bases crews. If you don’t have right of abode then you can’t take up the base. Simple as that.

Canadian Beech
8th Apr 2004, 02:40
Heard of several Canadians who commute from the great white north (at own expense) to LAX base...

flyingkiwi
8th Apr 2004, 13:37
proabably wont pass the entrance psych exam... wanting to live in Aus...sounds nuts to me!

Mikey21
8th Apr 2004, 20:55
hey kiwi, :O

come and live in canada, and after several winter, you will really appreciate Aus.

I only went to sydney, and loved it. Got to love your winters.

People are friendly, as we say here Australian are canadian with a sun tann.

Just a thought, always seems green on the other side.

5 canadians winters, and if you don't like the snow then you are fu..ed :}

Anyway, thanks for your replies guys it is interresting has i was told the opposite.
So, i understand that you need to have the right to live there before you can be based there.
Cool.
chao.

bonajet
9th Apr 2004, 08:54
Whilst in general terms what has been said is true, we did have people based in Zurich in the past, most of whom did not have the right to live in Switzerland. They commuted out to other places. Same for New York.

flyingkiwi
10th Apr 2004, 02:20
What a bite, I agree with getting out of -40 winters, just havnt worked out how Aus is so high up every canadians wishlist.. anyway was worth the bite, and the above info is true CX will not help with workpermits or visa's except for HKG base. People get around the issue via commuting ie living in Canada while on a US base, good if you are Canadian without greencard.

Temp bases are totally different you are still officially based in HK and get paid in HKD

Cheers
FK
from the real Godzone

404 Titan
10th Apr 2004, 04:19
flyingkiwi
from the real Godzone :yuk:
:p :ok: :)

Mikey21
12th Apr 2004, 22:34
so if i want to be based in Aus, I would have to live somewhere else and commute to sydney for work?

Well, i went to live in Aus so this would work? cos i wouldn't be living there???

I guess, got to immigrate.

By the way I am not canadian, I live in canada and work here and that's about it.

But still like Aus. et les kangourous

bonsoir a tous.;)

sorry , since lots of you are really informed.

Which bases are easilly accessible?

How is europe looking, Paris... and Sydney or New Zealand?

How long is the wait, any approximate ideas?

Merci.

flyingkiwi
13th Apr 2004, 01:43
Most bases are free, depending on which fleet you are obviously, due to a change in Aussie tax laws there are positions avail in most Aus bases, AKL is availiable as are most of europe except london cmds where all the old shool long sleved cpts reside waiting out there retirement.

You cant take a perm base as a s/o time till upgrade is 3 years at the moment may drop next year. Also to take certain bases ie AKL you must be relief qualified which happens approx two years after your upgrade.

The quickest way to get on a base is to join as a D/E freighter driver as they are all based.

propaganda
14th Apr 2004, 08:00
Flyingkiwi,

Interesting about AKL bases with Cathay, I'm trying to emigrate to NZ.However, the aviation job market is still stagnant.
Are CX recruiting now for the freighters ?, and do you have an email of a contact in CX cargo.

Cheers ,

flyingkiwi
14th Apr 2004, 11:44
Now your talking.

Sorry to say no freighter base in AKL, the pax base will take about 5 years from Date of joining as you need to be relief qualified, that said heaps of positions availiable at the base.

Sorry i dont actually know the addresses to contact, it is listed in one of the threads here. The contact is pretty much the same for freighter and pax, just specify your preference in your first letter. My suggestion is to put printer to paper and send them a typed application leter they will then send through the official application form.

Almost forgot CX will be hiring freighter guys like they are going out of fasion 12-14 747SF are on there way soon.

Goodluck