PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair handling at EMA

BDWW
7th Apr 2004, 10:44
I was just wondering if anyone had heard who will be doing the handling at EMA. I did presume it was Servisair as they are the only handling agent at EMA (since bmibaby will not handle anyone, not even bmi regional!), but i have heard that Menzies have been recruiting for front of house staff. KISS (part of Menzies) are already doing some ramp handling for bmibaby. Does anyone have any more information??

Lite
7th Apr 2004, 11:22
I think it will be KISS who will provide the ground handling services for Ryanair when they launch flights at the end of April.

They already have a lot of ground handling equipment at the airport, and also a lot of staff (are the bmibaby customer service agents kiss or bmibaby?)

If it is KISS handling the new flights, does anyone know if they have a recruitment page I could look at?

BDWW
7th Apr 2004, 11:45
Lite,

KISS only have ramp handling staff at EMA, the passenger service agents are employed by bmibaby not KISS. I can't see bmibaby handling Ryanair somehow! so if KISS will be doing their baggage handling who will be doing their check-in & despatch? I wouldn't imagine that bmibaby management are too happy that KISS will be handling Ryanair though, i did think KISS were exclusive to bmibaby, maybe thats changed now?

Lite
7th Apr 2004, 13:58
I remember when KISS was launched that the brand name was derived from the phrase "Keep It Safe & Simple", and was simply a product that Menzies was offering for no-frills airlines, not unlike how mainline airlines have started low-cost airlines, this was a mainline ground handling company launching a no-frills one.

I haven't seen anything on the Menzies website with regards hiring additional staff at NEMA, but I'm sure whatever happens it will be whichever company provides the lowest cost for Ryanair.

If it's KISS, I think they'll use the main terminal check in counters, as opposed to the new terminal extension counters, as I believe Servisair has the lease of desks 15 - 52

BDWW
7th Apr 2004, 14:32
I'm not quite sure what check-in desks KISS will use, as 1-14 are for bmibaby, i think 15-32 which are in the main check-in hall are leased by servisair and desks in the extension are mainly for easyjet (handled by servisair). Also easyjet have brought a load of new computers into EMA and in the process of setting them all up in the international departure lounge for boarding, with electronic boarding card readers.

Wee Weasley Welshman
7th Apr 2004, 15:06
'electronic boarding card readers' !! Really?!

What's all that about then?

BDWW
7th Apr 2004, 15:17
I believe that they are going to be like at the supermarket where it will scan the boarding card and accept/not accept the boarding card for the flight.

richterscale10
7th Apr 2004, 15:19
KISS at NEMA are Ramp Handling only...........Menzies have an new operation starting called Menzies Express which is a Gold Star operation for premier check-in. They will be checking-in Eastern Airways flights very soon.
If Ryanair considers themselves as premier then maybe Menzies Express will be looking after them.............

Talk to Aviation Resource at NEMA for positions ...........................

BDWW
7th Apr 2004, 15:29
Does that mean that Kiss will be doing the ramp handling for Menzies express & Eastern Airways then?

Lite
7th Apr 2004, 15:55
How can I get in touch with Aviation Resource?
Is there a telephone number or email address?

BDWW
7th Apr 2004, 16:13
Lite, heres an address and email address i've found. Also try taking a look at aviationjobsearch.com

Recruitment Team , Aviation Resource Ltd , Office 1.5 - 1.8 , Building 100 , Beverley Road , Nottingham East Midlands Airport , Castle Donington , Derbys , DE74 2SA , [email protected]

BDWW

heavy glider
8th Apr 2004, 00:42
i suppose it won't be long before Ryan Air knocks bmibaby out of NEMA, starting with the DUB route of course... how long will it be before they compete on the sunnier routes? Cheaper fares for the pax mind you..

BDWW
8th Apr 2004, 09:46
I was at EMA today and it looks like that the Ryanair check-in desks will be in the extension, about desks 47-52. Theres also a huge poster covering the wall in the check-in area advertising its new routes.

BDWW
26th Apr 2004, 08:29
It will be Servisair handling Ryanair at EMA, i spoke to someone there yesterday and apparently it will be all manual check-in! As they do not have the computers to check the flights or they cannot use the Codeco check-in system. Well at least the Ryanair customers can get used to long queues! :p or is it part of Ryanair's cost cutting excercise???

Approach_plate
26th Apr 2004, 12:24
All Ryanair checkin's are manual because Ryanair refuse to pay the 5p it costs to process a passenger using CODECO.

MAN_Dispatcher
27th Apr 2004, 14:11
Its a shame Aviance or Swissport do not have a presence at EMA. As was mentioned before, it is a shame that bmi regional have to use Servisair because there is no other full third-party handler there.

I remember flying from there last year and noticing British Airways CitiExpress (JER charter), Aurigny and B H Air all using Servisair - these carriers don't generally choose S'air, but i guess they had no choice, with bmibaby being purely self-handling....

BDWW
27th Apr 2004, 15:56
There sure does need to be some competition in ground handling at EMA, not many airports with the number of passengers that EMA has, only have 1 ground handling agent. For example Jersey has 4 handling agents! (Aviance, Servisair, Aurigny & BA) for a throughput of about 1 million passengers!
I do think it is a shame that bmibaby do not handle bmi regional as operationally it would make logical sense as all airfield operations for baby and regional are done by bmi engineering, bmi regional crew use the bmibaby crew room and servisair have to use the bmibaby baggage office to deal with lost/damaged bags.
I'm not quite sure why management wouldn't let baby handle regional at EMA, particularly since bmi handle baby at MAN, EDI & GLA and also the fact that baby contracted KISS to do their ramp handling at EMA because they received such a poor service from Servisair.

egnxema
30th Apr 2004, 07:58
Ryanair began its first day at Nottingham yesterday. Bit of a send off for those checking in for the first Dublin flight.

Big Ryanair wall post, new Ryanair Ticket Sales desk etc - the 'Tent' extension at Nottingham looks like the big boys play area while baby are down at the other end of the check in hall. Who will rush out and steel the baby first?

All the best to everyone at Ryanair in Nottingham!

Little Blue
30th Apr 2004, 10:15
EGNXEMA...
Are you trying to prove a point by mentioning Nottingham so many
times in your posts?
Only one airfield in Nottingham, and thats Tollerton....!..Well, not quite in Nottingham, but you know what I mean
Bloody red dogs !!:*

Vick Van Guard
30th Apr 2004, 23:03
Do any of the Ryanair aircraft nightstop at 'Nottingham'?
I was just wondering about engineering cover.

I think the real Nottingham should change it's name to 'Nottingham City' as you can see it (just) from the airfield.

Could do with a bit of money spending on the place though, its a bit run down :ooh: