PDA

View Full Version : Lockheed Electra training Q

fernytickles
6th Apr 2004, 16:50
Does anyone know about (or know anyone who knows about) the training practices for the Lockheed Electra? Particularily whether the pilots practised two engine approaches and go arounds?

Thank you....

Daysleeper
6th Apr 2004, 17:39
2 engine out training is standard on 4 engine aircraft and that includes the UK electra fleet. It would normally consist of 2 engine out on one side approach, go around and landings to the requires standard. An unlikely but statistically possible situation.
Why the query?

winglet21
6th Apr 2004, 17:41
I flew Electras for 6 years on the Rio/Sao Paulo shuttle service. At that time we had an old simulator (no motion) installed on a trailer truck... By then, our regulations imposed a training flight (on aircraft) before going to line training. And on these flights the instructor pilot demonstrated the 2 engine approach and go around capacity of the aircraft. Two engine approach and go around was part of recurrent simulator training. Hope this helps.

regards,

W21

fernytickles
7th Apr 2004, 03:01
Thank you for taking the time to respond, ladies and jellyfish :ok:

Felix Lighter
7th Apr 2004, 04:23
Yep its standard and requires full rudder and almost tipping the control wheel inverted ......... even then shes a beast to keep straight!

Enjoy.....

Flight Detent
7th Apr 2004, 10:51
Hi all,

If I remember, was 145 KIAS the minimum for a two engine go around?
And the 'dead' engines had to be held about 5 deg high, with all that rudder!
I seem to remember we held about 175 SHP on the 'dead' engines so as not to induce any extra drag!

Together with those practice windmill airstarts on the runway, it was fun, at least now!!

Geez, that WAS a long time ago.

Cheers