PDA

View Full Version : Are there andy tricks to license issue

chris
3rd Apr 2004, 17:54
Just wondering from those that have done it before. Are there any tricks or benefits to apply for the fatpl as a CPL/IR or separately. I am about to do my CPL skills test and was wondering if there was a benefit (ie time or cost saving) to applying for the CPL issue after I get it and then IR issue after that. I am converting so it will only be about 3 weeks until I do the IR issue due reduced course!

Thanks in advance, Chris.

silverknapper
3rd Apr 2004, 18:08
I could be wrong on this so go easy everyone.......
There is no physical thing that is an fATPL, it is a term used to encompass the CPL/IR, which obviously matures to an ATPL at the required experience - which is an actual licence.
I would have thought sending them both together would perhaps be cheaper - my school told me to apply for multi at the same time as CPL as they would put the rating on for "free" - again check this.
Either way if my PPL issue was anything to go by you probably won't have the CPL in your hand in 3 weeks to send off again. Think I have just said I'd do it together...........I think

chris
4th Apr 2004, 19:24
Basically I was just trying to get peoples thoughts, ideas and experiences. Ie, is it beneficial to get both CPL and IR at the same time. I know it saves a lot of hassel becasue you do it once. Did anyone out there get them separately? Would you reccommend it?

Cheers.

FlyingForFun
5th Apr 2004, 08:28
Chris,

You need to get both the CPL and the IR. They are two separate courses, you can not do them together. Most people do the CPL first, then the IR, but you can do them the other way around if you prefer. (I'm talking about the modular course here, the integrated course is different.)

I think you may be getting confused between this, and the written exams. There are CPL written exams, and separate IR written exams. And then there are the ATPL written exams which encompass both the CPL and the IR material. If this is what you're thinking of, then definitely do the ATPL written exams. Otherwise, you will end up doing some exams twice. And, what's worse, once you're ready to move to the left hand seat you will have to do all of the exams again.

FFF
---------------

chris
5th Apr 2004, 19:46
fff, cheers mate, i think you slightly misunderstood me! Or maybe I wasnt clear? I put that down to the atpls stirring my brain into a light muddy substance! I just passed my cpl flight test today and was basically wondring what the merits of sending away for the license today are as opposed to waiting to finish the IR so I can add that to my license at the same time. Ie does it save time or money? this all about license issue not the actual tests or exams.

Cheers.

LFS
5th Apr 2004, 19:56
Chris,

If you apply for the CPL and IR at the same time you will not pay for the IR. Also if you apply for the M/E at the same time the CAA will give you that for free.

chris
5th Apr 2004, 21:42
cheers, just the sort of info I was after. Much appreciated!

mad_jock
5th Apr 2004, 23:26
If you don't already hold oneyou can apply for a free IMC as well at the same time.

It won't do you much good apart from if you decide to let your IR lapse you will still have instrument rights for an extra year. After you get a multicrew job and your SPA-IR runs out you technically can't fly a SEP in IMC any more. The IMC gets signed off by your TRE whenever required when doing an OPC, so if you want to continue flying SEP its a free rating to maintain.

MJ

FlyingForFun
6th Apr 2004, 08:45
Chris - you were correct in thinking that I "slightly misunderstood you", but take out the word "slightly"!

Glad it's been cleared up now :ok:

FFF
---------------

chris
6th Apr 2004, 19:35
cheers mj, fff. much appreciated. I just realised how poor my topic spelling is by the way! sorry.