PDA

View Full Version : visa for flight training in the us

shorty28
2nd Apr 2004, 22:03
hey!

i am going to do my flight training on a J-1 visa in the usa.
one of the things to proof is the intent to return to my country of residence after training is finished.

has anyone an idea of the so called "binding ties"?

thanks in advance,
regards,

robert

minus273
2nd Apr 2004, 22:13
Hey there,

When I first came to the US on a J-1 visa, I also had difficulty in proving that I wanted to return to the UK. In the end I believe that they accepted my bank statements as proof that I was going to return as I had been a member of my bank in the UK for 13yrs or so.

I suppose if you owned property or were married that would also show that you had intentions to return. Otherwise is a bit weird I know, but usually they are not too bad.

Sorry can not be much more help,

WX Man
3rd Apr 2004, 08:57
I recently had an M-1 issued, using bank statements as proof.

I took along my pension docs as well, but the bank statements were fine for them.

JABI
3rd Apr 2004, 12:13
Things like:
A job where you've taken a leave of absence
Owning a house with mortgage payments
A wife/fiancee in the UK
To a lesser degree:
Family left behind in the UK
A job offer for when you return.

They need to be convinced that you will not try to overstay your visa or go into hiding once you're in the US.
You need to be confident in telling them that you will really return to the UK because you intend to fly big jets for BA not some foreign company..bla bla bla.....:ok:
Have fun....it's not such a big deal since you're (probably) not an economic refugee from certain parts of the world.

FlyingForFun
5th Apr 2004, 08:34
i am going to do my flight training on a J-1 visa in the usaForgive me if I'm wrong... but I thought you need an M-1 Visa for training???

FFF
---------------

HomerJay
5th Apr 2004, 08:43
I got a letter from my employer saying that I was going to return, that was enough

shorty28
5th Apr 2004, 10:26
hey!

thanks for your advices!

i need the J-1 to do 0-MEI and then work as a cfi. after 24 months of training i hope to reach the 1500h tt to do the atp.

i know, that i have to do the JAR licences after coming home, but who knows, what will be in the next two years?
moreover i think to have better chances to find a job afterwards with more hours logged, than to apply for a job right after passing the cpl/ifr and fatpl exams.

tomorrow i have an interview at the embassy. in case i get the visa, i will start with training in march.

i will inform you about my success!

regards,

robert