PDA

View Full Version : Lossing HF radio

Yabaduu
1st Apr 2004, 19:31
If you loose HF over the Atlantic which VHF freq should you use?

Flap33
1st Apr 2004, 19:44
Best bet is to either try some of the other HF frequencies listed on the back flight progress charts or if that fails 123.45 (the "chat frequency") and ask nicely for a relay from another aircraft still in touch with your station. As a last resort you could give 121.5 (guard frequency) and request a relay.

Hope that answers the question.

F33

Global Pilot
3rd Apr 2004, 08:18
On a recent Atlantic crossing (in a wee single engine a/c), inital HF commc were poor then becoming nill. Relayed two positions reports through the on guard freq. HF comms restored after pulling in the antenna and changing it for a spare I always carry.

ferrydude
3rd Apr 2004, 10:38
Toss that stone age HF and rent a nice little sat phone. Call the controlling agencies direct. Don't give the number to the Miss,Mrs.

ETOPS
3rd Apr 2004, 14:16
Have used the satcom a couple of times over the last year. We have all the major ATCC's progammed in so it's easy - when you get through it makes you realise just how bad HF can be. Why can't the industry get cheaper calls (it's $15 min today) for flight safety reasons?

moo
3rd Apr 2004, 17:44
still makes me laugh! that cartoon showing an aeroplane with a speech bubble coming from the cockpit saying "HELLO INDIA. HELLO INDIA, THIS IS G-XXXX DO YOU READ? SELCAL XX-XX..........HELLO INDIA" and then a speech bubble coming from the back of the aircraft saying "Hi mum, its tracey! Hows the cat? This flight is lasting forever though.........no, they ran out of beef, I had to have the chicken" etc. etc.

if only the pax knew!!

tug3
3rd Apr 2004, 23:57
SAT 'Phone is okay as a last resort, but only useful for 'POS' reports. No requests for level/speed change etc. would be issued as the 'phones are not as a rule recorded nor can the I-D of the 'caller' be verified. CPDLC is a useful tool if you have it.

Rgds
T3

Check 6
4th Apr 2004, 08:57
Tug3, I have a question regarding the "id of the caller can not be verified."

The identity can not be verified on HF either, correct? If you call on SATCOM, you will be giving the same information, only via a different medium.

No, HF frequencies are not secret, so someone could call on HF maliciously, just like is done too frequently on VHF.

What am I missing here?

Cheers,

Check 6

ferrydude
4th Apr 2004, 11:46
15 dollars per minute? My God! I am paying 2.25 per minute down from 3.75 a year ago, though still too expensive to give the number to the Miss./Mrs. These things are the greatest!

tug3
5th Apr 2004, 03:29
Check6

True what you say, neither medium is 100% proof against malicious acts. There are I feel more means of establishing credibility via radio than 'phone. (Put yourself in a controller's position and I'm sure you'll figure them out - assuming of course you're not one). I'm sure that SAT 'Phones will eventually become the norm for voice comms outwith VHF cover and any question of 'security/integrity' will be addressed.

Rgds
T3