PDA

View Full Version : Any Oz examiners in UK

NorthSouth
1st Apr 2004, 10:08
Are there any current Australian PPL examiners in the UK who have the relevant authorisations to conduct Oz PPL revalidations?

Tinstaafl
2nd Apr 2004, 09:29
I suspect you mean a Biennial Flight Review / Aeroplane Flight Review / whatever they've shuffled the deckchairs to.

You don't need an examiner. Australian licences are permanently valid however you must have had a BFR *OR* a flight test for the issue/renewal of a rating in the last two years.

Most Grade 2 & all Grade 1 instructors can do it. There used to be a clause in Oz rules that specified flight reviews as one of the few instructing tasks that *didn't* need to be under the auspices of a flying school so that would cover it being in the UK ie no Oz schools are currently authorised by CASA for UK ops. S/he would have to be legal in the UK to fly as PIC of whatever a/c you wish to do the review in.

NorthSouth
2nd Apr 2004, 14:36
Tinstaafl

Thanks. And if said PPL holder hasn't completed a BFR in the last 2 years would they have to do the flight test? Presumably that can only be done by an examiner and at a CASA-approved establishment i.e. not in the UK?

NS

Tinstaafl
2nd Apr 2004, 16:24
No. Exactly what I said in my previous post.

Permanently valid means just that. It doesn't lapse or disappear only to exist again after a flight test, or anything else like that. There is only the requirement to have completed a BFR (or whatever they've called it this week...) within the last two years in order to exercise the privileges of the licence.

One caveat: Any preparatory training might need to be under the auspices of a flying school. Not sure. It's been 5 years since I last had to know about the intricacies.

Oh, current medical too, of course. Should have mentioned that. Do a search. UK Drs who can do Oz medicals have been discussed before.

NorthSouth
3rd Apr 2004, 13:50
Thanks Tinstaafl, very helpful. Now, I don't suppose you know of any Grade 1/2 Oz instructors in the UK?

Tinstaafl
3rd Apr 2004, 18:54
'Sfunny you should ask... :O

...but I'm leaving in two weeks or so. Anyway, I'm not sure if I'm legal to fly G reg singles. Possibly in private ops using a validation of my Oz licence. My UK one is only current for multis.

BKnut
6th Apr 2004, 05:13
There is no need to do an Australian BFR (or AFR as it is called now) if you are not flying in Australia. When you get back here, then do one. Apart from that, I would have thought you need to do it in a VH registered aircraft and demonstrate that you can fly in the Australian system.

NorthSouth
6th Apr 2004, 15:48
BKnut:
You need to do one if you are flying in the UK on your Australian licence, since the licence is not valid without it.

dzeroplus
9th Apr 2004, 04:17
There are no restrictions on the aircraft registration for conducting a BFR, but, for the air operators certificate to be valid you have to use an Australian registered aircraft.

All the above according to my local friendly CASA flying ops inspector!

Anybody confirm or deny?

drollond
11th Apr 2004, 18:19
Hi,
Just what I was going to ask. Any news on an instructor in the UK? I saw a South African instructor advertising in one of the UK flying magazines to do BFR's for SA licence holders. Don't see why Oz licences cant be done same.

BTW The URL to find a quack for a medical is
http://www.casa.gov.au/avreg/avmed/damedisplay.asp?type=DAME&Location=Overseas

Cheers