PDA

View Full Version : Career Options at 25

Denning
31st Mar 2004, 21:50
Hi everyone, ive been reading for a while so i thought id start posting to get some info. I am currently a year away from finnishing a law degree in Brisbane. When its done i want to start my commercial training. ( I have a PPL (a) but it isnt current at the moment).

My two main concerns are:

1. Starting at 25 is this too late and what options would it give me career wise ( im reallly interested in bussines jets).

2. With two degrees (no relation at all to flying , science or physics etc) will that put future employers off?

Any help, info advice would be hugely appreciated.

Regards,

Denning.

craig1975
1st Apr 2004, 11:09
Apparantly not.

I'm in a similar position. I'm 28, got 2 degrees and qualified Chartered Accountant, and thought that this was a huge career change. I look at HSBC, got a loan and due to start in next few months. Spoke to airlines at FLYER show and via correspondance and although i'm too old for sponsorship most airlines accept upto about 45 as long as your qualified. Talking to OATS and CABAIR etc they also said that upto about 32 is ok for starting training, but after that you will struggle.

Their advice is get the training soon and make sure your CV doesn't have just flying on it they are looking for rounded individuals who have had a life as well as aviation, such as team building stuff and any managing people stuff.

Good luck

Luke SkyToddler
1st Apr 2004, 12:14
Mate at the age of 25 the entire aviation world is your oyster :ok: Who the hell wants to employ some 18 year old f.o. anyway?

As for degrees, well if you can point out that you already had two of them by the age of 25, then no prospective employer can be in doubt as to your ability to pull finger out and study :)

As for bizjets, yes well, I'd worry about getting the licence first, and then getting any paid flying job you can for a few years before I start getting too excited about the old bizjets ...

Mack Buffet
1st Apr 2004, 19:48
You should be fine

I started in the UAS at Uni where I also did law, I went into the profession for a while before picking up PPL @25, CPL at 28 (studied for ATPLs whilst working full time) and IR at 29.

Now 32, and just been offered TP position. Also getting encouraging noises from a few other majors.

I'd be more worried about the industry in general, as oppose to any particular concerns about age. But who can predict the next act of lunacy ?

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that flying is predominantly a function of the left part of the brain, which is the arty bit, not the right side functional bit. You're flying it mate, not fixing it, that's why we have MELs !!