PDA

View Full Version : 2 Seat Spitfire

alexis_lambert
31st Mar 2004, 14:06
Can anyone supply me with a plain line drawing of a Spitfire Tr9 with the bubble rear hood?
Thanks in advance.

foxmoth
31st Mar 2004, 15:07
there is one in "Spitfire the history" by Morgan and Shacklady, page 305, will sort out scanning it for you later if you don't have it

alexis_lambert
31st Mar 2004, 15:41
That would be great many thanks. I'll PM you my e-mail if that would be easier, then you could make it a larger file.

foxmoth
31st Mar 2004, 17:19
Sent, let me know if its OK:ok:
Actually just realised you wanted the mkIX, this is a mkVIII, will see if I can find a IX

Just looking quickly in this book it looks like the only reference to a MKIX trainer is one done by the Russians! I have a photo of this one but not a line drawing, main difference is the rear canopy is not as tall as the MKVIII. I know the Irish also did some 2 seaters, but not sure which mark, will look into it further and let you know.

alexis_lambert
31st Mar 2004, 20:18
That was fine. Thanks for that

RabbitLeader
1st Apr 2004, 06:20
Foxmoth - the original two-seater Spitfire VIII is still around, with Jack Erickson in the States. The Irish Air Corps two-seaters were all MkIXs, and several of those are still around (ML407, MJ627, PV202/IAC 161).

IT's not known for sure how many two-seaters the Russians modified, but they differed only in having the rear seat and instruments fitted. The forward cockpits and fuel tanks were not altered.

foxmoth
1st Apr 2004, 07:32
Yes, found it all now, though as you say unclear how many the russians converted. Have photos of the MKIX (or more correctly looking at the book the T9) but no line drawing, looks very like the VIII though.