PDA

View Full Version : William Nicholls 1 MORU Exercise Spartan March 1943

allan125
31st Mar 2004, 10:54
I have been asked for any information on Flt Lt William Nicholls of 1 MORU – some basic background information “1 Mobile Operations Room Unit” operated as part of “Z” Composite Group (which later became 83 Group) during Exercise Spartan (March 1 – 12 1943) by Paul Johnson whose partner’s father is William Nicholls.

Paul says:- My partners father Flight Lt. William Nicholls 107893 was Administrative Officer to MORU. He arrived at West Malling on October 21st. 1942. He apparently committed suicide on night of 13th / 14th March 1943, which would appear to be at the end of Exercise Spartan. My partner was born 3 months later. His daughters have met with official suspicion, obstruction and we now suspect lies in their attempts to find out more about the circumstances of their father's death. No official records for MORU can be found for the period just before his death until a few months later. His personal file "has gone missing". The Coroner's "meticulous preserved" records "do not contain a record" of an inquest into his death. The RAF held a Court of Investigation on April 5th at White Waltham station.

Apparently he was due to be transferred to 296 squadron on 14/3/43.

Paul has to hand copies of form 540 for period of his arrival and correspondence Aug - Oct 1944 about missing MORU 540 forms / Ops Book for period Feb - April 1943 between Air Ministry, HQ Mediterranean Allied Air Forces (historical Section) , No. 83 Group, Rear HQ and Group Support.

1 MORU had their own ORB but provided / consolidated it into 83 Group. In 1944 HQ Mediterranean told RAF HQ That "somebody" at Wantage "destroyed as secret waste" some MORU records left in their safe when MORU went overseas.

Paul also wishes to I find out if C.T Jarman, F/L Adjutant 83 Group Support Unit is still alive: he was posted from 1 MORU “a few weeks before they went overseas" so must have served with / known F/L Nicholls?

When we first started this in 1979 nobody would tell us anything because WN's widow was still alive. In 1985 she wrote a letter on behalf of her daughters “to whom it concerned" saying she waived any rights as next of kin over confidential information. When we resumed our enquiries - blank wall all files missing SINCE the date in 1979 when we first started looking!!

In the Canadian DF Official History on Spartan there is talk of "spray" being used by one of the sides. Careful reading of the denial by the RAF reveals it to be less of a complete denial that chem / bio agents were not released. It seems so odd that WN should get thru the privations and hardship of Spartan only to kill himself on the very next evening. He had a daughter or 2+ and his wife was 6 months pregnant.

Background to this:- “Enemy” aircraft made a number of low attacks on troops of 1 Cdn Corps during the afternoon of 11 March, and these led to three separate reports of the use of “spray” which were investigated by Chemical Warfare officers in accordance with standard procedure and found to be baseless. Gas was, in fact, used by neither side during the exercise. The “enemy” being “X” Composite Group, I have a full list of the squadrons taking part in Exercise Spartan. - cheers - Allan125