PDA

View Full Version : Just how much do you tell the pax?

firejockey
30th Mar 2004, 19:04
Having been in the airport fire and rescue services for a few years, one of the most frequent questions I get asked is how much do flight deck crews tell the passengers about the situation they are in?

Are there any company policies with regard to this issue? or is it solely down to the captains discression?

Obviously I realise there are situations when it is impossible not to tell the passengers, but what if the situation is not obvious to the people in the cabin?

Thanks,

Firejockey.

BN2A
2nd Apr 2004, 10:39
Ladies and gentlemen. Some of you may be aware of a slight technical problem that we are experiencing.....

Don't use the words "Fire" or "Failure", as that induces both panic and newspaper stories...

Also, when telling pax when you'll be landing, say "We'll be landing in xy minutes". Not "We hope to be landing in xy minutes".

Nothing written in stone as far as I know...

:)

2nd Apr 2004, 12:29
Some airline's SOP's cover this area quite thoroughly. The bottom line is that the passengers are treated as intelligent human beings, and pilot's don't withhold information or tell lies to the passengers.

:}

mattpilot
2nd Apr 2004, 13:37
if i'm not mistaken, i do believe the FAR's require the pilots to update the pax on whats happening.

surely not
2nd Apr 2004, 14:46
and most announcements end with "If you have any further questions please contact our ground staff on arrival"

The only problem is no one tells the ground staff anything so they come across as lacking intelligence!

spork
2nd Apr 2004, 18:25
pilot's don't withhold information or tell lies to the passengersI think I'd rather not know about serious problems thanks. Putting it back on the ground is all that matters to me. The truth is totally unimportant...