PDA

View Full Version : Headset Matching Devices

Zlin526
29th Mar 2004, 20:43
There are several types of headset 'matching' units available commercially. These enable EM mikes to be used with Carbon configured radios, and vice-versa (Excuse the ignorance about electronic terms) Does anyone have a circuit diagram for one of these, or know a link to a diagram on the www, as I'd like to make one myself & save some money instead of helping the Avionics suppliers to get rich.

Many thanks for any leads:ok:

Keef
29th Mar 2004, 22:04
You mean electret mike to carbon mike socket? Just a bit of circuitry to derive some bias voltage for the mike, and then an amplifier to "load" the carbon mike line.

I built several a while ago, but no idea now where the circuit diagram is.

If you mean moving coil mike to carbon socket, even easier - you don't need the "phantom power" bit.

BRL
30th Mar 2004, 14:46
Hi Zlin. You might have a better response if this was in the Tech forum. :)

VP TAA
12th Apr 2004, 03:16
I wouldnt try to make anything like that . If the FAA etc ever found you operating commercialy with a home made device you could be in a lot of trouble . Imagin if the damm thing shorted your radios or started an electrical fire .... Try explaining that to the subsequent court of enquirery . Not a good idea .

Zlin526
25th Apr 2004, 19:59
VP-TAA

I don't particularly care what the FAA thinks about my 'home made' headset matching device - I fly aircraft built, registered and certified in the UK! There is life outside of the USA you know..

AND, if you look at the commercially available items for sale in the UK, for which you are charged in excess of £100, they are probably made by a 16 year old school leaver with hardware bought at the local Maplin store - hardly cutting edge technology is it?

Chill out:ok: