PDA

View Full Version : easy ripoff?

AOG-YYZ
29th Mar 2004, 13:47
A freind related this incident to me:
My freind and his wife travelled from Liverpool to Barcelona with easyJet. They were each checking a "Samsonite" (30" hard-side) suite case and carrying on a standard soft-sided American Tourister bag. No problem at Liverpool, however when they checked in at Barcelona they were told that their checked baggage was overweight, his by two kilos. and hers by three kilos. They had not added anything to their checked bagage. Further, they were told that their carry-on didn't meet specifications and would have to go in the hold. They had purchased Lladro and wished to carry it aboard in their carry-on which, as I said, was considered "oversize".

They removed the porcelain and checked their carry-on, an action which increased the weight of their checked baggage by another four kilos. Total cost for overweight, £165.00.

Apparently the fares were £62.00 each which is £41.00 cheaper than the fare for their baggage.

LTNman
29th Mar 2004, 15:33
easyjets baggage allowance is much bigger than Ryanair so I guess they are lucky they didn't use them.

IB4138
29th Mar 2004, 15:42
EasyJet's published charge for excess baggage is £4 per kilo.
On what has been said these people were only 9 kilos over.
The charge should have been £36.
How do you get to £165? This is the charge for 41.25 kilos!

Runway 31
29th Mar 2004, 15:43
Easy charge £4 per kilo. Therefore to charge £165 the excess luggage must have weighed 41 kilos. As each passenger is allowed 20kg each thats a mighty lot of excess weight.

AOG-YYZ
30th Mar 2004, 02:38
After asking easy at Liverpool to re-weigh their baggage, and being refused, they re-weighed it on their own bathroom scale when they arrived home and they were underweight.

I can't say how they (easyJet) arrived at the figure they did but I will ask my freind.