PDA

View Full Version : Ext-lon

ABO944
28th Mar 2004, 21:32
Hello all!

Has there or will there ever be a service from Exeter to London??

I know that there is a service with Air South West from Plymouth, but nothing from Exeter!

Is it because it simply wouldn't make any money being such a short distance up to town? (although its a good 2.5 - 3 hour car journey).

Any info would be fab!

ABO

LGS6753
29th Mar 2004, 18:41
As a small boy on my first trip to Heathrow in about 1965, I saw a Dakota in the colours of British Westpoint Airlines which I believe was operating to Exeter.

But then they built the M3, M4, M5 and dualled the A303. And cars in those days boiled over, just like the steam trains that provided the competition.....

MerchantVenturer
30th Mar 2004, 09:46
Unfortunately, by 1965 the headlong rush to rid British Railways of its steam locomotives was in full swing with the last ones gone from service by the end of the decade, but I understand the point you are making.

Even in the late 50s I became very excited one day with the realisation that our usual Castle class steam loco had been replaced by a Warship class diesel hydraulic on the Paddington to Bristol TM express that we travelled on (the foolishness of youth in hindsight).

Back to Exeter, I believe there was a venture two or three years ago when a service from Exeter to Luton was provided. Can't remember by who or which aircraft other than they were very small (a dozen seats or so?) and tickets expensive. Presumably it made no financial sense because it did not last long.

I think ABO probably answered his/her own question - the distance is too short for effective competition with land competitors. Similarly there are no air links between Bristol and London or Birmingham and London for the same reason.

Oscar Duece
30th Mar 2004, 09:56
MV

Think that was Multi-Flight or something (they do / did fisheries patrols) in a Cessna 421 ?

Very Very expensive

OLNEY 1 BRAVO
30th Mar 2004, 10:02
I think it was an outfit called Fly Victoria.

I'm sure Buster can remember!

LGS6753
30th Mar 2004, 17:17
Yes, it was Fly Victoria, using Cessna 414s that continued to Manchester.
Never saw any advertising for it, and it only lasted a few weeks from what I can remember.

Tarek Nor
31st Mar 2004, 13:57
They were called Fly Victoria, however the aircraft was a Cessna 406 Caravan II.