PDA

View Full Version : New routes from Derry.

cuthere
27th Mar 2004, 23:19
Seems Birmingham and a re-instated Manchester are on the cards for LDY according to the Derry Journal. Here's the (rather long) link.

http://icderry.icnetwork.co.uk/news/localnews/tm_objectid=14092945%26method=full%26siteid=66002%26headline =big%2droutes%2dboost%2dfor%2dderry-name_page.html

Any guesses on who it's going to be? The mighty Aer Arann expanding again?

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
28th Mar 2004, 02:03
Aer Arann have already anounced the Manchester service, 3 days a week from I think May

Golf India Bravo

cuthere
28th Mar 2004, 03:59
Thanks GIA. Where did they announce that? I don't think it's on their website.

Cheers,

Cuthere.

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
28th Mar 2004, 07:18
Hi Cuthere

It was a couple of weeks back along with the Waterford service
which is also 3 times a week

Golf India Bravo

cuthere
28th Mar 2004, 18:32
I think you're getting Kerry and Derry mixed up, but cheers anyway!!!

Eh Hello?
28th Mar 2004, 21:31
According to a friend from the Donegal area, the word locally is "an Irish airline will do both routes". Doesnt take much to guess who.

brabazon
31st Mar 2004, 15:32
Aer Arann are to operate the "new" services:

http://212.2.162.45/news/story.asp?j=99332788&p=99333494&n=99333548

db7
1st Apr 2004, 11:16
Loganair have reinstated their LDY-MAN flight for the summer

No sign on the Aer Arann website of LDY flights yet.

cuthere
1st Apr 2004, 11:38
Here's the announcement from Aer Arann:

http://www.aerarann.ie/PR04_derry_bhxman.htm

I can't see two operators serving MAN from LDY successfully.

db7
1st Apr 2004, 11:45
Neither can I could this be related to the PSC LDY_DUB round of bidding coming up?

runawayedge
1st Apr 2004, 11:45
Me wonders have the management of Derry messed up, and what incentives were offered to Aer Arann. Not enough room for two. Watch with interest!!!

brabazon
1st Apr 2004, 14:59
db7 - where have you found out about Loganair and I guess you mean the PSO on LDY-DUB which I think runs until 2007.

db7
1st Apr 2004, 16:14
Loganair news - was in the Newsletter yesterday I think

Try booking a flight on ba LDY-MAN

Before 1/5 its by GLA after 1/5 direct flight to Man is in the pm before REs and return is also pm in time for the LDY-DUB-LDY run.

Lowest price at the moment seems to be 60 + tax

Meant PSO typo! I heard that these are being reviewed especially given recent criticism.

cuthere
1st Apr 2004, 16:45
...and the confusion continues.....

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northwest_edition/story.jsp?story=507362

runawayedge
2nd Apr 2004, 12:58
Is the LDY pso not up already, does not run until 2007, are Aer Arann trying to muscle in on Loganair's turf. See Logan started a Galway Glasgow. What about the management at Derry, do they want competition on a thin route? May end up losing both!!!!

ALLMCC
2nd Apr 2004, 13:19
Suspect a withdrawal by one of the two is inevitable - if the speed at which Loganair withdrew from the proposed EDI & GLA - BHD once they learnt of Flybe's start up on these routes is anything to go by, it'll be them!

db7
2nd Apr 2004, 13:19
The timing of both MAN flights are poor - they are off-peak filler flights for each airline. Therefore both will appeal to the leisure market only and this is facing extremely strong competition from BFS and BHD. Don't see either succeeding with current pricing.

Think the EDI,GLA BHD situation was quite different. As was RE's attempt at a DUB-BHD route.

Loganair have been in LDY for many years and the LDY-DUB route has respectable loads thanks to the timiings unlike the previous mid-day service offered by RE.

Given the equipment rotation RE has two new routes to build wereas Loganair only has to try and develop a shortly suspended route. Think a third rotation to DUB would have made more sense. An early afternoon flight would connect with most of the evening flights out - the 17.10 arrives to late at 18.00.

cuthere
2nd Apr 2004, 16:18
This is a right mess. Surely though, logic would dictate, that if Loganair felt they couldn't make a LDY to MAN route work in January (despite reasonable loads if the CAA's figures are anything to go by), then they can't make it work now. Furthermore, I priced a return from MAN to LDY last summer and if memory serves it was £145. MAN to BHD was £70-odd, so guess which one I used!!!

Maybe Loganair should add a further Dublin rotation as suggested earlier. That route seems to be doing well and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

MarkD
2nd Apr 2004, 19:32
Maybe Loganair should add a further Dublin rotation as suggested earlier. That route seems to be doing well and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

that would be because of the PSO. I presume that is a fixed fee for a fixed amount of seats (empty or full) and thus Logan would have to share that subsidy between three flights instead of two?

ecj
3rd Apr 2004, 05:34
Ryanair could prove an even more interesting player at Derry if [when?] the runway extension takes place.

brabazon
5th Apr 2004, 11:15
Derry should hear soon if they will get government funding for the runway extension, then it will be down to Ryanair to make a commitment to the airport in terms of increased frequency and capacity to Stansted plus some international services, which could be supported by the NI Route Development fund. Will they make that commitment given everything that has happened in the last few months?

brabazon
6th Apr 2004, 09:34
No it is not the same as a PSO . A PSO (Public Service Obligation) should strictly be applied to a route which a country deems needs to be served by an air service, but which could not be operated commercially without a subsidy. There are wide variations within Europe in terms of the criteria that each country set and the amounts paid out. I guess you could say that so long as the individual's country's tax payers are happy to see their money spent this way then that's fine. The French have the most PSO routes some of which are to ensure links with Paris to "remoter" parts and others are between Corsica and the mainland.

As for the Northern Ireland route development fund here's the press release that came out last September on it:

http://www.nics.gov.uk/press/eti/030904b-eti.htm

cuthere
8th Apr 2004, 10:33
I see the BA timetable is listing three Loganair flights a day from LDY-DUB in July. I didn't check when the site first lists them, but it would seem, if right, that PSO or no PSO, there's enough traffic on the route now to support expansion. It makes sense really as it's listed as a 1110 departure, getting to Dublin for lunchtime connections.

The site also still lists LDY-MAN, so who knows what will eventually happen.

glynn-kayes
9th Apr 2004, 03:46
Bhx has been tried before from Ldy,and Man was served by two rotations per day,then dropped to one on an sd360, then axed.I dont think it will work for Aer Arran at LDY I give both routes12 weeks max.

cuthere
9th Apr 2004, 19:17
Not like you to be so negative about an N. Ireland airport that isn't Algdergrove there Glynn!!! There have been criticisms of people like ALLMCC (spelling could be wrong!!!) for being so pro-BHD, but he's not alone in the my airport's better than yours slanging match. You're every bit as guilty. Perhaps you should post on BFS only related topics in future?

Have you ever been to the Northwest? Have you ever seen the tourism potential that exists there? Donegal, the city of Derry itself etc etc. Why should tourists have to land at BFS and NOT anywhere else to access the north of Ireland. Give it a rest will you?

Perhaps the prospect taht BFS will be the only airport without a BHX service riles you. If/when BFS has a reinstated BHX service I'll be delighted....like I am for any good route news for any Irish airport.