PDA

View Full Version : I Need A Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YVRKid
27th Mar 2004, 04:26
I'm 15, and wanna summer job. Is there ANYTHING aviation related you folks would know of that I can do :confused: (In YVR) I dont wanna flip hamburgers at the airport but i will if it means working near airplanes :ok: :cool: :D ;) thanks.

NoseGear
29th Mar 2004, 03:03
YVRkid, your enthusiasm is great to see. If you are really keen to get next to airplanes, I suggest joining the Air Cadets. They are an outstanding organization for young people who are interested in aviation. They also have an excellent summer camp program with a wide range of courses available including Gliding and Power flying Scholarships to a select number of hardworking, keen young men and woman. Check it out, it sure beats flipping burgers.

Good luck with your hunt :ok:

Nosey

YVRKid
29th Mar 2004, 03:57
Thanks Nosey,

I dont really have time for Air Cadets, I'm just looking for a summer job at the airport, but From what I know they dont have any because of my age.

JoeCo
29th Mar 2004, 04:31
Try a local flying school. Most are always on the look-out for enthusiastic dispatchers or ramp-hands especially once the weather starts getting better. Sounds like a good place to start. Good luck.

Lock n' Load
29th Mar 2004, 14:49
YVR kid, may I suggest you MAKE time for air cadets? If you want to be a professional pilot, whether civilian or military, you'll find that all the available jobs could be filled many times over with keen and sufficiently able candidates. If you want to stand out among them and ultimately get a good job, you have to offer something they don't. You're 15 - the next couple of years are all you have left when you actually do have spare time. Use it wisely.

Aussierotor
30th Mar 2004, 01:05
Probably best way to go about it is ask for holiday "work experience" instead of just a job.

You sound like one of my sons----he would have done anything to be near planes.Got his PPL ,saved up for CPL ,then blew his money on a car.
Dont know if this caused him to change ideas or the fact he found out he needed laser surgery on his eyes for 100% vision and that may hold him back from the airlines.
Then went to an aviation engineering school for a year(government sponsored),all the students put in regimes and he got chosen by a major airline,along with many others.
Now in second year apprenticeship and loves it--works on jumbo,s 767,s etc.

He gets the best of both worlds as he pops over to the simulator section after work and does a bit of flying.

so kid ,start looking into things.

But for the present ,try the companies that are at the major airports----right in the middle of the action .

If you get in ,work hard ,show a lot of interest ,ask questions etc--
a good reputation and word of mouth go a long way.

YVRKid
30th Mar 2004, 01:09
thanks...thats really what im looking for..work experience..you need it to graduate from high school, (long story) but i just want to be around planes......how will air cadets affect my path in the air force, will it shorten it or w/e?

NoseGear
30th Mar 2004, 02:17
YVRkid, the Air Cadet league is a purely civilian organization, albeit with sponsoring from the Military etc. It won't affect your career IN the AF, in as much as it won't shorten your training, however to get into the AF, it surely will have a positive bearing on your application. Many former cadets are now AF pilots. I believe it shows a commitement and interest in aviation, and you are familiar with the military and how it operates. Not to say that not joining will harm you in any way, just that it will look good to the Air Force recruiters. By the way, the Air Cadets will get you closer to airplanes than flipping burgers, but I see you need it for some sort of work experience. The cadets will not take up time in summer unless you go on a summer camp, and take note the Scholarship for your Glider pilots licence and PPL, they are paid for by the government, if successful. Otherwise the cadets run as per the school year, one night a week I believe. At least check it out, there is probably a squadron close to you. There are alot of familiarization flights in AF aircraft and also in the regional gliding program.
Once again, all the best of luck.

justcurious
30th Mar 2004, 02:18
Vr guy,

I wouldn't be so quick to dimiss the usefulness of the Air Cadets, especially as you have evinced an interest in the Forces as a pilot.

The air cadets will give you time around aircraft. Possibly, if you work at it, your private pilot licence, and or glider pilot licence. They can and do provide work experience and contacts in the business. For life.

As a fer instance, the guy in charge of the new service joint flying school is an ex air cadet. I was in the cadets with him. So is the editor of the Air Force Flight Safety magazine Flight Comment, as well as the accident investigators at the Directorate of Flight Safety.

A great many serving members of the forces are ex-cadets. The cadets will give you a no-risk sample of some aspects of the military life. For a heads-up, a substantial number of drop-outs from the service flying program occur at the basic officer level. Having a basic knowledge of how to:
March
Shine your boots
Make a Bed
Iron your clothes
will make your time on the BOC much simpler.

The Air Force Indoc and the survival training will also be much easier.

Having earned a scholarship to learn how to fly will not necessarily help you directly, to become a service pilot. There is a difference between flying as a service pilot and being a private pilot. But at least you will be over the portion of the course wasted by new officer cadets looking at themselves in a flight suit in the mirror.

Aside from anything else, given that you like flying... it's fun!

YVRKid
30th Mar 2004, 02:37
Thanks y'all....I just emailed YVR to see if I can do anything there. I'm now going to research Air Cadets, and I'm seriously thinking about it..thanks.;) :cool: :D

justcurious
30th Mar 2004, 04:29
Here's a link to the Pacific region Air Cadets office.

http://www.cadets.net/pac/aircad/resources/resources_e.asp

fougapilot
1st Apr 2004, 08:58
Go AIr Cadets. This is where my aviation carrer started 20years ago this summer. FREE GLider and Airplane pilot licenses (if you work hard for it). Made friends for life in the Cadets.

Dan

Latte tester
4th Apr 2004, 01:16
Many moons ago I was fortunate enough to be awarded an Air Cadet Flying Scholarship, a fully paid private licence...to this date, I credit the Air Cadets for getting the fuse lit under my bum, 20 years in the Air Force, including 2 years in the Red and White Tutors and now in Corporate Aviation, I cannot help but question why you are so quick to dismiss the Cadets. The program does not take much of your time and you can still hold down a part time job at the local flying club if that's what you want.:ok: