PDA

View Full Version : A320 brain teasers

Sidestick_flyer001
26th Mar 2004, 10:42
Doing some revision of some A320 past papers and got stuck on a few questions (4). Would appreciate some opinions on these brain teasers!!

1) During taxi for take-off on snowy taxiways, you get the following ECAM warning: "ANTI-ICE CAPT TAT FAULT"

a) Check MEL and proceed for take-off under MEL guidance
b) Disregard warning as this is normal
c) Return to stand as Capt's TAT probe must be servicable
d) Disregard warning unless it is accomanied by failure warnings

B can be immedeatly disregarded, while since I do not have an MEL I tend to think C cannot be so cathegoric. That leaves A or D, though for D, Volume 3 simply states "crew awareness" for a TAT fault.

2)For RVSM operation with ADR 3 inoperative:

a) Request new clearance to avoid flight in RVSM airspace
b) For FL300/.78 maximum difference between altitude indication on PFDs should be up to 355ft
c) Record altitude indication on PFDs and standby altimeter for future use.
d) Check that PFD altimeter indication are within tolerance every 30 mins.

All I know on this one is that just 2 ADRs are needed for RVSM ops, thus making ADR 3 redundant. That rules out A but no clue about the rest, though I think C can also be ruled out.

3)APU Fire Extingusher Discharge light:

a)Illuminates amber when fire extingusher bottle has lost pressure
b) Does not illuminate when fire extinguisher bottle has lost pressure due to overpressure

(a) is definately right but (b) not sure about this, but sounds plausable if overpresure is by a fault (leak) in the squib, for example.

4) If before take-off the crew selects a FLEX TEMP that is less than the current TAT and the thrust lever is set to FLEX/MCT gate for take-off;

a) The Engines produce TOGA trust
b) The engines produce MCT thrust
c) The engines produce FLEX thrust
d) The take-off configuration warning sounds

I would think (a) TOGA; but actually I think you would get a value that would be the same as (equal to) TOGA, but stand to be corrected

Just checked again for any RTFQs!!!!.......Any ideas?

320DRIVER
27th Mar 2004, 12:13
This is my version and associated references:

1) During taxi for take-off on snowy taxiways, you get the following ECAM warning: "ANTI-ICE CAPT TAT FAULT"

Ans.

b) Disregard warning as this is normal

FCOM 2.04.10 Pg.12 (Fluid Contaminated Runways) states that this warning may be expected since RAs may not be able to compute any data. The wording of (d) is also too close to disregard.

2)For RVSM operation with ADR 3 inoperative:

c) Record altitude indication on PFDs and standby altimeter for future use.

FCOM 2.04.50 Pg. 1 (RVSM)

3)APU Fire Extingusher Discharge light:

a)Illuminates amber when fire extingusher bottle has lost pressure

FCOM 1.26.20 Pg. 5

4) If before take-off the crew selects a FLEX TEMP that is less than the current TAT and the thrust lever is set to FLEX/MCT gate for take-off;

b) The engines produce MCT thrust

FCOM 1.70.30 Pg. 3

Lu Zuckerman
27th Mar 2004, 14:14
What do you do if you have an uncommanded retraction of the flaps during takeoff.

This happened on an Air Canada A-320 several years ago.

:E :E

320DRIVER
27th Mar 2004, 14:43
Lu, I think you are referring to an auto retraction problem which arose when one of the ADRs output an erroneous overspeed signal which brought the auto retraction feature into play at an innoportune time.

The MEL has been chnaged to state that whenever there is despatch with a fauly ADR, CONF 1+F should not be selected to avoid this problem. Auto retraction does not come into play with CONF 2 or 3 so those are still safe to use.

If the problem should happen, I think a possible course of action would be to select TOGA and select CONF 2 if you were at CONF 1+F.

Comments anyone?

Sidestick_flyer001
27th Mar 2004, 17:46
Thanks for that. Looked them all up. The TAT fault in icing conditions would sure have worried me!! Interesting to see that you could get other niusance warnings too, due to the RAs.

This is the advantage of revision i guess, always finding out new stuff!

If you don't mind, I have these two questions that I cannot find any reference for:

5) During refueling with the aircraft on Ground power, is it permissible to start the APU?

a) Yes
b) No
c) Yes provided you perform the APU fire test before starting APU
d) May be started provided the refueling truck and aircraft are properly grounded.

6) Alpha Floor protection is available:

a) In alternate law
b) Up to configuration 1 in single engine operation
c) After failure of both FMGCs
d) From lift-off until the aircraft reaches 200ft RA in approach