PDA

View Full Version : Future pilot (hopefully)

andrewnash
25th Mar 2004, 12:53
Hi, im andrew and currently studying for my GCSEs in two months time. All my life Ive wanted to fly, but the problem is, im useless at maths. I have an expected grade of "C" but still worried that this isnt enough. Im looking to join the airlines when Im older, so I needs some tips in how to get in. Will they look at me with bad grades?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Notso Fantastic
25th Mar 2004, 13:48
Andrew- it is a dragon you must slay. Whilst the maths needed for flying aren't greatly above what anybody should need in life, calculations, and even mental calculations are a fact of flying. Working out time for a given distance and groundspeed, effects of wind on aeroplanes moving at particular speeds, adding up fuel, converting kilos/pounds- all these things need a measure of ability. You still have time- take private lessons, burn the midnight oil- you don't have to accept it as some disability. You can 'get rid of the problem'. And all these things will be useful to you in life anyway. Don't try and sidestep it! Practice practice practice!

Blinkz
25th Mar 2004, 18:06
how much of the maths invloved is mental maths? I'm good as long as I've got a piece of paper and a calculator :ok:

i do know mental maths is important and i'm gonna work on getting better at it, but how good do you need to be? I don't think I'm ever going to be amazing at it.

Slim20
25th Mar 2004, 19:16
I was never particularly good at maths but I found that you need to be familiar with working with NUMBERS so that you can put your electronic Casio brain to good use.

There are several books available (unfortunately this post isn't helpful enough to detail any - sorry!) that are full of number games and puzzles etc. which I found more helpful than just pounding my head trying to get better at mental arithmetic. These kinds of puzzles aren't "mental maths" as such, but help your brain to learn how to work with numbers in a similar pattern to reading. The arithmetic came a lot easier after I had "retrained" my brain to be more comfortable with numbers.

Using a calculator for everyday flying tasks (checking loadsheets, fuel figures, etc etc) is taken as read. I've flown with a few human computers who can work it all out quicker than I can key in the figures, but they are an exception in my experience.

Don't be afraid of maths. As Notso says, you have to get comfortable with basic arithmetic, but the maths look a lot less threatening if you aren't afraid of numbers!

NinjaBill
25th Mar 2004, 20:20
Mental maths is something than needs to be practised, and practised often. You will be surpried how fast you can improve, just by exercising your brain.

When i started my atpl exams, i realised how much i had let this skill slip, and sterted practising all the time.

When i went to the shops, i would work out how much change i should get, and how much i would get if i bought twice as much, abd payed with the same amount. etc

I also practise it in the air, if the wind is 270 10, and you are using rw24, what is the xwind component

Its quite had the first time you try, but with practice, i can now devide numbers by 0.75 in my head.

try it for a few weeks, youll probably be surprised by the results

NB

Charlie Zulu
25th Mar 2004, 20:25
Hi Andrew,

When I was your age (11 years ago I was doing my GCSE's) I too wasn't sure of my level of mathematical understanding. Although I was in the higher group for GCSE maths I didn't exactly feel comfortable with the subject matter.

However I have found during the past seven years (since I started flying) that everyone has the ability to fly its just some people have to put in a lot more hard work than others (I'm one of them). The level of maths required isn't that high whilst flying. Ie whilst in flight as long as you can work out simple sums in your head then you should be fine. Ie you're not expected to know how to do trig from tables in flight (or elsewhere) in your head so relax a little!!!

In the ATPL Ground Exam Subjects (14 of them) you will need to know trig, algebra, equations etc etc... but not much, if any, higher than GCSE Mathematics, as you're looking to obtain a C grade then you should be just fine.

I would seriously suggest you ask your parents to take you to the Flight Training Exhibition at London Heathrow this coming Saturday.

At the exhibition you can talk to training providors, BALPA, CAA, take notes at the numerours forums that a run throughout the day.

http://www.flyer.co.uk/PFTSsoon.php

The best of luck with your studies now and in the future.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu

ikea
26th Mar 2004, 10:17
Hey
i know exactly how you feel, you sound just like me when i was in your position! I am hopeless at maths, at GCSE i was in Top Band, but bottom set (if that makes sense to you), so I took the intermediate paper, but i did get a C, i did have to work REALLY REALLY hard for it. But to be a pilot, you must work really hard, so just believe in yourself, and come results day, im sure you will get a pleasent surprise, I wAS as chuffed when i got my C in maths! Good luck for your future studies, and if you dont get a C, then resit it, maybe part time, cos you have a few years until you train full time to be a pilot, im sure :p

Port Strobe
28th Mar 2004, 19:02
Andrew, I can only echo what the other guys have posted so far, not that I've got an ATPL or anything. But one thing I will say, having finished school only a couple of years ago (on the right side of the border though :p ) we have a non calculator exam paper in our 5th year (Highers) and it is the best thing I ever did with respect to my mental arithmetic. I'm not sure what the position is with your exams for GCSE/A levels etc. In school, try to use your calculator as little as possible, even if it means taking a couple of mins longer to complete a question. The people who have already replied are bang on when they say you'll be surprised how quickly things improve. I hardly touched a calculator through my final 2 years at school except where it was strictly necessary. For school maths/physics questions the numbers tend to be fixed to give a nice result, so rather than reaching for the calculator every time sine, cosine etc appear for example, learn the common values and do the maths in your head. You will improve rapidly. Like Notso said, it's something which is within your control to remedy, do something about it while you still have opportunity to practise on a regular basis in school. It'll help no end.

Stick in and all the best with the exams.

RowleyUK
30th Mar 2004, 10:40
I got a 'C' in maths 7yrs ago.......I passed ATPL Gen Nav (the most mathematically demanding) with 97%!!!

In flying you make things as easy as you can!! Ie to work out your distance of 15miles and using groundspeed of 135 knots would be difficult in your head.......it would be easier to use 120 knots and then all you do is half the distance then youve got a rough idea!!...Simple!!

One of the main probs is to work out reciprocals on a compass.....I found it hard too when taking or adding 180 from your current hdg....... buit all you have to do is take away 200 and add 20 or add 200 and minus 20!!....simple!!!!

Basically....the maths in the ATPL exams is difficult but you are allowed to use a calculator.......the maths in the plane isnt too difficult as long as you make easy methods for everything!!

I would worry more about how hard it is to pass the flying exams!! :{

Hope that helps!
:ok:

unowho
30th Mar 2004, 15:45
Hi Andrew

Don't worry to much about the numbers, but you can always do mental maths for practice.

If you drive, every time you pass a mile post to a city/town work out how long it will take you at your currents speed. Look at the fuel how much do you have in the tank then divide it by your estimated fuel consumption.

It only takes practice and soon you will dreaming maths problems aswell.

As for the maths needed for the course make sure you understand TAN COS and SIN and how to apply them. And then make sure you can use your calculator.

RGDS

flygal
1st Apr 2004, 22:34
I got a C in maths. My A-level grades aren't much better either! If you want it bad enough you'll pull all the stops out to get it. You may have to study harder than others, like me, but you'll get there in the end. :D

silverknapper
2nd Apr 2004, 09:28
Andrew

So far everyone here is focusing on number crunching, of which there is a lot. However as unowho says, there is also a lot of geometry to consider which whilst it isn't hard I'm not sure how much is in the GCSE syllabus. You haven't said if you intend to go on to A level, which I would recommend if you are prepared to work at it, it'll give you more confidence.
My other suggestion is to get hold of any mathematics for aviators type book. This will show you what you need to know. I can't recommend one personally as I've never used one, however Bas Hamblin at Bristol Groundschool writes one and if it's anything nearly as good as his lectures on G-Nav it'll be good.
More importantly don't worry, if you want to get there you will. Whilst not having A level maths may exclude you from any sponsorship, once you have a licence it won't matter a jot.

SK

GJB
2nd Apr 2004, 10:34
for the record, i failed 'a' level maths twice, but still went on to university and graduated with a highly mathemaical degree so school results aren't everything.

try your hardest and if you fail trying, then it's better than failing without really trying at all.

when the going gets tough, sit back and take a breather, and consider the bigger picture and ambition. it's not going to hinge around one poxy subject.

most of the maths you need to know for flying exams is pretty basic and you will get better with practise.

good luck.