PDA

View Full Version : self sponsored type rating end

flyingoli
24th Mar 2004, 16:43
Dear all,

Do you feel this fresh air blowing on the airline market.
More and more ab-initio pilot are hired each month, when I say ab-initio, I mean without type rating.
Sorry for those with a type rating and no hours, but a lot of company will never hired them. Company want new pilot without bad experiences and train with the company standards.
It's time now to aware all the training company's: It will be no more the pilot who will be paying the type rating bill, but well airlines company's... that's mean no more bulls...it's to easy to take money to young pilot, to take it from airlines company's it's an other story-->!!!A LOT OF BANKRUPT AHEAD!!!

WhyNotMe
24th Mar 2004, 22:22
I would like to be as optimistic as you concerning the type ratings!You will finally pay it at the end!
Concerning low time pilots with a type : you are totally right!!!!

mad_jock
25th Mar 2004, 08:13
Are you sure WNM.

My pay scale does't change if i arrive with a type rating or not.
The pilots who get taken on with out one have to take out a loan for 2 years in thier name, which the company services while you are still working for them. After 2 years the loan is payed off so the bond is finished.

There are still some good employers out there.

MJ

Splat
25th Mar 2004, 08:40
flyingoli

Out of interest, do you think the same will apply to MCC, IR's ATPL exams?

Just a thought

Splat

Voeni
26th Mar 2004, 13:49
flyingoli,

I wonder who told you this... would be great, though!

flyingoli
26th Mar 2004, 15:45
Voeni,

The answer is simple, about hired pilot. I take exemple from a lot of my friends, who since the begining of the year have found a job with City Jet, Thomas cook Belgium, Flybe, Easy Jet... and they had no type rating.
About the need of a Type rating, I have called a lot of chief pilot for advices. They have all told me : "A young pilot with a Type rating and no hours, it's only a pilot with more money. It's show the credulity of this pilot because you must be mad to pay such money without a promise job. We prefer young pilot, who can be patient, and show is determination by working as FI or Towing glider pilot."
And finally about the type rating industry. A Company like CTC, is a very good company, well recognized by a lot of airlines company. They don't promise anything for money, they only say that if you are a good pilot they help you to find a company, and make this company believe in you by paying a TR. SO if this company can do it, why other company can't. The begining of the answer is simple, they have directly see where was the money-->YOUNG PILOT, so they adapt methode to attract pilot's. But time's are changing and the day when they will need to attract company's it will be difficult, because quality and trust must be there.

Splat
26th Mar 2004, 15:52
flyingoli,

I'm not disputing what you say, but how do you count for those that did sponsor their own TR and got employment on the back of it? Last I heard, 5 out of 9 out of the last Astraeus 737 course all got jobs straight away.

Splat

triplespool
26th Mar 2004, 17:19
The way the market is at the moment I think it is highly unlikely that this is the case, unless they went offshore.

flyingoli
26th Mar 2004, 17:32
Splat,

If think that TR done by CAE and GECAT for Ryanair are the best way to do a self funded TR, because it's not the initiative of the TRTO to propose that, but well Ryanair. An other point is that you do an interview for Ryanair before the type rating. As I know after the type rating you get a job, So that's a good way.

About Astraeus/GAS TR it's an other story, You don't know if you will have a job after the TR. That's true that some pilots will have a job after but not all. The guy that I know who get a job with excel after TR, had more than 1500 hrs and had RJ146 experience. I think that low houred pilots with no jet experience who did this TR have more difficultie's to find the job.
Again why there is not an interview with the airlines before the TR? I think it's because the pilot who not succeed the interview will not do the TR, so loose of money...
I'm not again the idea to pay for a right seat, but some conditions must be there:

- A contract before the begining of the course.

- That not only the pilot take all the risk.

- A reasonnable price for TR.

- A reasonnable salary.

Be sure that in this business there is a lot of sharks , but sometimes you can find some friendly dolphins...

Monitorverticalspeed
27th Mar 2004, 13:14
Unfortunatley you are wrong, at least 6 on the GAS scheme had less than 300 hours, i should know because I'm one of them. Everyone was interviewed by Excel before completion of the TR.

Doog
27th Mar 2004, 18:18
triplespool, you are also wrong. The 5 in question all got jobs with 3 different UK airlines.

Splat
27th Mar 2004, 20:40
And I might add without line training too.