PDA

View Full Version : Any Word experts out there?

SkidSolo
23rd Mar 2004, 21:19
I am writing a manual. There were alot of Adobe files which have been converted one way or another into Word format. They look fine, fit the page and appeared ready to slot into the main manual...or so I thought.

Some of the cells or text boxes go out of alignment, lock onto the side (left or right of its choosing) plus I have a header and footer so they tend to cross onto the next page.

How can I prevent this? Its painstaking to try and tweak them as there are so many. Is it my section breaks, widow/orphan control, the header/footer arrangement?

Anyone receommend a freelance tech writer who can help me out pdq?

Rgds
SS

Bre901
24th Mar 2004, 08:15
SkidSolo

I'm aware that I'm not really answering your question, but I have the feeling that you have reached the upper limits of Word's capabilities.
It is a word processor, not a publishing tool. A colleague of mine wrote a technical book using Word and boy did he suffer.:(

Wing Commander Fowler
24th Mar 2004, 09:18
Skid - you've obviously thought about writing the manual using Acrobat.....?

mazzy1026
24th Mar 2004, 11:20
Are you copying and pasting into Word ? If so - before you paste, click EDIt and PASTE SPECIAL then select "unformatted text" (or something like it - this varies depending on what version of word you have). Then you can format it however you like. Use the text grabber in Adobe to get the text you need.

Regards

Maz

SkidSolo
24th Mar 2004, 15:16
Thanks to the above. Adobe is the standard but I have had to work backwards from that. The manual is only 60 pages so far and copes.

I removed the header/footer of the mentioned sections and it looks a bit better and fits. Will just plod on with it.

SS