PDA

View Full Version : FI job

mad_jock
23rd Mar 2004, 17:16
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=123534

This has been on the FI forum for 3 days and not one single CV has been received by the school.

Yes it is my old job.

Yes I got over 900 hours in the 13 months I worked there.

The ppruner who applied for the job who hadn't even got his FIC was awarded the job before starting his FIC.

Both of us are now employed driving Turboprops.

Is everyone holding out for airbus and boeing jobs?

Or as it seems only looking for Jobs in the south of England?

MJ

PM me or the orginal poster for details

Luke SkyToddler
23rd Mar 2004, 18:08
Have we taken on another one of yours MJ?

mad_jock
23rd Mar 2004, 18:13
yep another short ugly one to add to the collection I am afraid.

Although the addition of a full body rubber suit should help.

MJ

duir
23rd Mar 2004, 22:47
Wish I was a year down the line with my CPL/IR/FI I would bloody jump at the chance. A flying job ANYWHERE in Scotland, Awesome, I bloody love the place!

Luke SkyToddler
24th Mar 2004, 08:56
Oh right - I knew we were interviewing him but I hadn't heard that we were taking him on.

Mate I think this company must be close to qualifying for the 'ugliest collection of flight crew in the UK' award by now ... comes from the top I suppose :)

Seriously you wannabes this instructing job that mad jock is pushing here is a top opportunity, I don't think anyones been in it for more than 18 months or so before they have gotten amongst the multi turbine.

Khaosai
28th Mar 2004, 14:41
where is the location

paddygee
28th Mar 2004, 15:56
Mad Jock,
Is that genuine that most people want to work in the south of England. Don't many want to work out of Manchester and Lpl, if not, why not?

mad_jock
30th Mar 2004, 11:39
It was only a statement of what appears to be happening. And my definition of South starts at the Hedrians Wall.

I have seen on these forums people complaining about lack of jobs, no bites etc.

It completely goes against what I see in scotland amongst Instructors I wasn't bull****ting on other threads when i say that all the instructors i met last year in my travels last year have now got truboprop or jet jobs and we are talking about nearly 20 pilots. And i am sure Luke could add a few more from further south that I never met.

And what got my goat was the fact that a full time job was on offer for an instructor who wasn't yet qualified. You don't get better than that as an instructor. Yes you have to pay 5K but you have a full time job at the end there is no risk envolved.

The politics of trying to get crew to work at far flung regional airports seems to be pretty hot. People just won't move. The fact that you get payed the same as the large airports, have a less stressful life, housing is cheaper etc. doesn't seem to matter.

But all the wannabies seem to be wanting 737 jobs then bitch and complain that they spent 45k+ and havn't got one. And I have zero sympathy for wannbies complaining they can't get work when threads like the one above show that its more a can't be arsed or setting there goals to high or are not hungry enough for the job to move.

MJ

PS I think 'ugliest and worst dress sense collection of flight crew in the UK' would be better with the top leading by example. And its 13 months is the longest the instructor has lasted with out getting a turbine job. Much to the CFI's disgust :D

eagerbeaver
30th Mar 2004, 19:09
Mad Jock and Mr R Sole
bully for you.

Dont get annoyed when some people are less than enthusiastic about moving to Scotland for an FI job (Many are fortunate enough not to have to live in Scotland ho ho). I instruct in the south east of England. I don't do as much as i like but thats my tough luck.
Where are all the whingers? there ia a handful on this website and i know of no others with whom i have contact with. Its not unreasonable to expect to get a first job on a 737 i know of many who have, even i did for a while. At the end of the day you must still be realistic.

It is good of you to advertise the job.

Stop preaching

mad_jock
30th Mar 2004, 19:18
This might give you an indication of how Flying Clubs/Schools in Scotland are by no means flush with FIs!

To bloody true. I think it was 1 week after me leaving my old job before I got a phone call from another school in scotland offering me as much work as I could do. But as the main reason for me leaving was feeling burnt out I limited it to weekends and trial flights which seem to suit both partys. But I am sure I could have gone straight into full time work again if I wanted.

Its not unreasonable to expect to get a first job on a 737 i know of many who have, even i did for a while.

Many are fortunate enough not to have to live in Scotland

Brillant, pure class by the way :D :D your proving my point exactly setting the goals to high and not being hungry enough. If you really want a job you wouldn't spend a second thinking about moving where the jobs are.

MJ

chris
30th Mar 2004, 19:38
mr r sole, i have a question for you, can you check your pms.

Thanks

eagerbeaver
31st Mar 2004, 06:48
Thats fair enough, i should stop gobbing off in that case.

ECHIE
31st Mar 2004, 08:43
Hi there,

I applied for this job March 25th, also I applied in april 2003. No reactions from the school in Scotland. Is this because this job is only for UK FI?

If there are so many flying schools in Scotland asking for FI´s please guys let me know who is interest in hiring a dutch FI with 340 total time and of these 340 hours 100 instructing. I have no restriction on my FI rating.

Cheers,

Theo
[email protected]

mad_jock
31st Mar 2004, 09:12
I really don't know why you didn't get a reply Eichie There certainly isn't a UK only behind the scene feeling they had a spanish lad in last summer working.

I would phone them on the number on the web page.

It might be because the resriction is removed and or you have a IR. He's a bit pissed off at the moment with FI's disappearing as soon as an airline job turns up.

Still i think its bloody rude not replying. Unfortunatly it seems to be common in this industry.

MJ

eagerbeaver
31st Mar 2004, 11:12
mad jock,

Its not as easy as that, many cannot just drop everything and move to scotland to earn at best £12000 a year if you do 900 hours like you commented. I have made far too many sacrifices to go and instruct in Scotland. However if for example Loganair offered me a job i would not hesitate for obvious reasons. You have no right to challenge my motivation, why did you not move down south to pursue employment? What if you were not lucky and never got the FI job in the first place?

Why is aiming for a 737 job too high? Airlines have to employ a certain number of FATPL people (i.e low hour).

Remove the tartan tinted glasses sunshine.

AIRWAY
31st Mar 2004, 11:22
Why is aiming for a 737 job too high? Airlines have to employ a certain number of FATPL people (i.e low hour).

Why dont you aim to fly the Concorde ( oops thats gone ), hmm lets say the B744 or B777 or a A346... Is that too high?

It is in "my" opinion shared by many that the pilot career should be a progressive one.

The only reason why some airlines hire low hour pilot, its because they are "cheap"...

Has for the FI job ( depending on personal/private situation ie: no kids etc... ) i would go anywhere. No pain no gain, if you wany to be a pilot sacrifices have to be made.

Sally Cinnamon
31st Mar 2004, 11:59
Before anyone gets too excited about the job prospects up North, it is certainly not as rosey a picture as some have painted. There are dozens of unemployed wannabes up here. I personally know of almost 40 unemployed CPL/IR holders in central Scotland alone.

It has also been suggested that after a few months instructing you would be leaping into the right hand seat of a turbo prop, this is also highly unlikely. There may have been one or two instructors securing this kind of work over the last year or so but I could name plenty of instructors who have been trying with no luck. Fife, Perth and Dundee (at the very least) are all stuffed with high hour instructors unable to move on. So perhaps we are all getting a little excited over what is after all, one available position at Inverness.

AIRWAY
31st Mar 2004, 13:05
Aint it like that everywhere :confused:

mad_jock
31st Mar 2004, 13:26
Err well actually I have worked at Dundee and everyone that I worked with is flying for Scotair, Loganair, Eastern or Highland apart from the career guys. And I know at least one from perth got a job and the lad from Fife got the exec jet job a while back.

And Aberdeen did at one point have 8 instructors on there books and there is now 2, most went to Eastern. And as they are running a charter operation up there they are getting multi crew time. And the tug pilot at Royal Deeside is now airline.

The instructor at cum has just left for an airline job.

And I believe 4 lads from PIK have recently gone onto the SAAB's as well.

And not forgetting the 2 Instructors from Inverness who are now flying turbo prop.

Thats the ones i can think of off the top of my head. Bit more than one or 2.

I would have moved anywhere even Croydon to get a job. And to get the finance for becoming a commercial pilot I worked in Germany for 2 years.

But hey I don't care, I am sure there will be plenty of Kiwi, Aussie, Irish and all those nice europeans who will be more than happy to move to get the work.

If you don't want to listen to ex wannabies where to find work and good entry methods for companys thats fine by me. There will be people alot more hungry than you for a job who will read this thread and go for it.

I wish you every success in the SE.

MJ

Snigs
31st Mar 2004, 15:32
Sorry off topic, but as an aside, mad_jock, do I know you? You weren't perchance at BRR in Berlin were you?

eagerbeaver
31st Mar 2004, 15:54
AIRWAY

You are 100% completely wrong. Airlines do not hire low houred pilots for their relatively low employment cost. They are hired because an airline needs to keep the correct distribution of experience across the entire line. I would happily move to australia, new zealand or eastern europe for a job, i have applied to the carriers most relevant to me in each of those countries and many more.

Cost is a considered factor but a FATPL cannot command the same salary as an ATPL, but potentially a FATPL may cost more to train than an ATPL.

The cost of an individual comes into play when the airline decides whether they want to employ an UK national on a permenant basis or they can get two chaps from abroad on contracts for the same cost. This is exactly what is happening.

GusHoneybun
31st Mar 2004, 16:59
Oh great, a bun fight :(

No one is saying that EGPE is the holy grail for getting a turbo RHS. For all we know the next best place maybe lands end or elstree. This is a job for an instructor and purlease only apply if you are committed to working as such. The students at the school deserve someone who is keen to see them progress and not some grumpy southerner who is missing his warm beer and 10 mile traffic jams whilst dreaming of pushing buttons at FL370.

AIRWAY
31st Mar 2004, 17:18
You are 100% completely wrong

I don't think im 100% wrong, maybe 99%. ;)

It happened to a fellow prooner and there was a thread going on about it awhile back...

Apparently "x" prooner was too experienced for the wage package on offer, and dont tell me that 700 hours is too much.