PDA

View Full Version : BA pulling off MAN-BHD

no, no, no
23rd Mar 2004, 15:51
I've heard that BA are ready to complete their withdrawal from Belfast by cutting their Manchester services, the only flying from Belafst they do these days. However, it is rumoured that they don't want to come off the route, on which they are the only full frills airline, until someone replaces them.

I've heard that a couple of airlines have been sniffing round this route for a while. It's always surpsied me that bmi don't fly it considering their strong Heathrow route, and their other regional flights from Manchester to Scotland. Don't know if they are one of the ones interested though.

Has anyone else heard anything else about this? Are there any BACX people out there who can shed any truth on this story - or is it purely another rumour? :hmm:

marlowe
23rd Mar 2004, 18:03
no,no,no, Have operated this service several times in last couple of weeks pax figures have been good with full loads on most of them. But we are talking BACX so anything is possible!!!!!!

ALLMCC
24th Mar 2004, 08:32
Good to hear BACX still getting good loads on this route despite fares being generally higher than WW's from BFS - just a pity they wouldn't reinstate the 145's if not the RJ - this route really justifies a jet service to compete properly with WW.

marlowe
24th Mar 2004, 12:47
ALLMCC
The Dash8 makes money on the route the other types dont, simple economics. Pax like jet equipment bean counters like beans!!!

ALLMCC
24th Mar 2004, 13:11
marlowe

See your point - will be interesting to see what happens when the Dash 8s go next year!

no, no, no
24th Mar 2004, 13:18
maybe the Dash 8's is where this rumour came from. Are they getting rid of them all then? Have they got plans to replace them with jets?

marlowe
24th Mar 2004, 17:50
Nobody knows what is happening about DHC8 fleet some say it will be gone by the end of the year, others say it will be gone by 2005, others seem to think its the only fleet close to making any money your guess is as good as mine. There are some routes that if an 8 was used on then maybe there would be profit to be made ie. IOM to LTN as this service is done by the 146 and regularly carries just 15 to 20 pax BUT of course nothing is allowed to upset the dinosaur mentality of the island base.

MarkD
25th Mar 2004, 22:23
Since Aer Arann operates to BHD and MAN maybe they should look at it... an ATR sounds like the right fit...

MEFLYBE
25th Mar 2004, 23:08
My money is on Flybe taking up the route, they have been wanting to go into MAN for years.

Regards

Mike

Dash-7 lover
26th Mar 2004, 05:34
There might be a general re-think on the Dash-8s as they make money!!. The MAN-BHD route is pretty much full and needs booking well in advance. Take today......if you want to go in either direction then you might be able to this morning but forget it after lunch as they're all full/overbooked.......the Dash-8s will be staying for a while....me thinks.