PDA

View Full Version : Terminal Expansion at Nottingham East Midlands

egnxema
23rd Mar 2004, 08:44
The terminal building at Nottingham East Midlands has undergone a whole range of changes over a relatively short period as it has strived to accommodate the growing number of passengers. This has included a new check-in hall with an additional 20 desks, an extension to the international and domestic departure lounges and an extension to the arrivals hall including new baggage carousels.

The Airport is planning a new terminal, adjacent to the exiting one, which it is hoped will be operational by 2007.

cargohappy
23rd Mar 2004, 16:21
With continued growth what they airport could really do with is
that rail link at radford on soar, gives passengers the extra option, i guess it needs the airport mgnt to put the pressure on
midland mainline.

also new ups hub on east side to rivel DHL,s on the west to be
built probably about the same time as your new terminal.
incidently i was under the impression that they were extending the current terminal upwards i.e. extra floors, a new terminal is news to me, where exactly would this be located and does the
airport really need this yet ?, 07 is only 3 yrs away, unless FR want there own new shed like easy.
Also I know permision has been granted for a new hanger, hopefully large enough for most a/c types to attract business.

Keep up the good work NEMA (lets have some more long haul)
rgds all....ch

Mike16
23rd Mar 2004, 18:19
Hi

I have heard of the new terminal building for ages, i have heard it will have upstairs and all that jazz.
I heard the EJ bit was just temp for the time being, as the new terminal building will start there.
On EMA website today, under the recruitment section there is a job advertised under EMA and the post is described etc and then a bit of a talk about the terminal building ( the new one ) i do hope so, we really need it there and also agree on some new long haul operators out of EMA

Mike

egnxema
30th Mar 2004, 13:14
Meanwhile, the airport hopes to get permission for an extension to the international departure lounge.

North West Leicesterhire District Council's planning committee, which meets tomorrow night (Wednesday March 31, 2004) is being recommended to approve plans for the 19,375 sq ft development.

almost professional
30th Mar 2004, 13:34
as I understand it the extension to the departure lounge is awaiting NWLDC planning approval, which is why the old portacabins have been removed but nothing put in place- maybe the airport will temporarily extend upwards if they do not get the go ahead?-but a new terminal is on the cards, most likely to the west of existing structure, ie facing stands 16-19, I believe the intention being to utilise as much of the 'newer' building as posible

BDWW
30th Mar 2004, 14:00
I'm not sure that EMA will be able to extend upwards on the current building as all the air conditioning units are there (on the old part of the building where the upstairs restaurant is). There is alot of load bearing pillars in the International Departure Lounge so i'm not even sure if it could support an extra floor on there!.

The IDL sure does need extending, particularly for this summer as there will be no where to sit at peak times! So lets hope that they get the planning permission because there needs to be more gates aswell as last summer it was complete chaos at times, trying to allocate gates!

Does anyone know what will be included in any new extension? The airport really needs an executive lounge as its the only "major" UK airport i know of that now doesn't have one! (maybe bmi will operate one, now they are back at EMA?) Any info guys?

egnxema
2nd Apr 2004, 07:24
Airport unveils new terminal plan

The airport says growing popularity means it needs improved facilities
Nottingham East Midlands Airport (NEMA) has unveiled proposals for a new passenger terminal which should be open by 2007.
The airport's owners have arranged a £325m deal to pay for expansion.

NEMA is part of the Manchester Airports Group which has secured a major deal with financiers for a number of expansion projects.

They include terminal improvements at Manchester and a new passenger terminal at Castle Donington.

A group spokesman said the increasing popularity of Nottingham East Midlands, which saw passenger numbers rise by a third to 4.3 million last year, means new and improved facilities are needed.

The group said the project was in its early stages and no planning applications had yet been submitted.

:ok:

MAJOR UPGRADE FOR PASSENGERS

Plans for a new multi-million pound passenger terminal at Nottingham East Midlands Airport could get off the ground by the end of the year.

Airport owners - Manchester Airports Group - has agreed a £325m credit facility to expand terminal facilities at Nottingham, Manchester, Bournemouth and Humberside.

Bosses at Nottingham East Midlands admit they were caught on the hop by yesterday's announcement and were unable to give details of the proposal.

But a spokeswoman told the Post a planning application would be submitted "sometime this year".

It is unclear how much of the existing terminal at the airport will remain - or whether all of it will be redeveloped.

The spokeswoman said: "We haven't finished the plans so we don't know how much it will cost. Plans are fairly fluid.

"We can't say when it will be built. A team is working on it and it is something we have identified that we need to do, we hope in three to four years."

The Post reported in 2002 that airport bosses wanted to build a new passenger terminal as part of a £50m expansion plan. Proposed to be in place by 2006, it would double flight capacity.

A slice of the cash announced yesterday, loaned by Co-operative Bank and AIB Capital Markets, will help fund the planned new passenger terminal.

Manchester Airports Group (MAG) announced last year that terminal and airport expansions would go ahead after a Government White Paper outlined the need to improve the UK's aviation infrastructure.

The company described the deal as a "landmark" and said it was a significant step in making progress on the development work.

Financial director Philip Ridal said: "This £325m revolving credit facility is another major step forward."

The deal was jointly led by AIB Capital Markets and Co-operative Bank, with Royal Bank of Scotland, HSBC and Barclays also in the syndicate.

MAG will use the cash to expand terminal facilities at Manchester Airport and introduce a new passenger terminal at Nottingham East Midlands.

The credit facility will also be used to refinance existing bank debt.

The airports group is 55% owned by Manchester City Council, while other bodies in the city each have a 5% stake.

One of the fastest growing airports in the country, Nottingham East Midlands recently marked its 35th month of consecutive year-on-year growth.

At least four million passengers are expected to fly from Nottingham East Midlands this year.

A £1.9m terminal extension was opened in July last year, with 20 new check-in desks bringing the total number on site to 52.

When low-cost airline Ryanair announced it was from April 29 relocating Dublin flights and two Spanish routes from Birmingham to Nottingham East Midlands they predicted two million extra passengers could fly from the airport in the future.

EastMids
2nd Apr 2004, 14:05
...and in the mean time, the existing upstairs landside facilities will be "moved" airside and become part of the departure lounge before the summer rush in order to accommodate the increased throughput Ryanair (amongst others) will create.

MarkD
2nd Apr 2004, 19:44
agree on rail link, was planning a trip to those parts which a direct link rather than bus to nottingham or derby would have made much more feasible. just too tricky so binned the idea.

Navy_Adversary
3rd Apr 2004, 16:10
In Saturdays Leicester Mercury the newspaper reported that the planning permission for the extension to the International departure lounge had been refused by NWLDC.
I guess it's pay back time for naming the airport after a city in an adjoining county.:p

Mike16
3rd Apr 2004, 21:15
Hi All

Well do agree that EMA does need to expand as the airport is a bit 60's looking......
I also read that they got there planning permission declined in our local paper " Derby evening Telegraph " could be the fact that the local council NW LEICS who gives permission would not after being named Nottingham Airport......

TheGriffin
23rd Apr 2004, 15:45
Sorry to wander off thread a little - but does anyone know if there is any furnished office space avaiable at NEMA, I need somewhere for approx 200 heads?

EMACargo
23rd Apr 2004, 17:55
The Griffin,

There is office space behind the UPS Brokerage where i work next door to BAX Global Logistics in the old offices. If you go in past the bmi call centre it should be right in front of you.

Good luck.

EMA needs a new terminal, its as simple as that. Its too cramped and with passenger numbers expecting to reach nearer 5.5 million this year there will be no room in Int Departures.

Regards

Stu

EastMids
23rd Apr 2004, 23:25
Upstairs in the existing terminal becomes airside and part of IDL from 01/05/2004 - construction of walls to box in the stairs now almost complete, so only a hole to knock through from the existing IDL. Whilst this may make more room in the IDL, I doubt that the meeters and greeters or the spotters will be happy.

I'm told the applicaiton for the extension was turned down as the council wanted a traffic impact assessment. Seems like the extra punters are coming anyway, so a few meters on the IDL will hardly make or break the traffic situation. Traffic situation was crap last Tuesday with cars queuing on the A453 to get into the car park.

Traffic situation will be even more broken soon, as the terminal front will be entirely off-limits to private cars even for drop off, and all arriving road traffic will be routed into the short term car park (15 minutes free - fat chance of getting out in that time with only three "pay" machines!). I hope they get their planning permission soon, because the traffic situation is soon going to get worse real quick and that'll hardly endear them to the council.

Moral of story - if the airport encourages cheap and nasty airlines, expect to be treated in a cheap and nasty way. Me, I flew from EMA most weeks in 2002, three times in 2003, and once so far this year. However, I'm beginning to be "known" at BHX!

Andy

almost professional
24th Apr 2004, 10:09
east mids-a lot of the changes to traffic flows outside the terminal are driven by DETR and down to security issues, not an ideal situation I know but we will do the best we can, getting this bit right is a major part of design/cost for the new terminal

EastMids
24th Apr 2004, 17:22
almost professional: amazing how other airports still manage to have traffic in front of the terminal. But I understand your point about it being "part of design/cost for the new terminal" - you force people into the car park and thus make more revenue justified as going to pay for the new pipe-dream!

Andy

almost professional
24th Apr 2004, 17:50
whilst not an expert I think it has something to do with minimum distance from the terminal front, with the layout we have doing things differently is difficult without wholesale changes and consequent major disruption-no doubt that would be unpopular too-and the point I was trying to make was that getting the traffic access right at the new terminal will take a large chunk of the money to be invested-money the airport will fund, not EU grants like some to the southwest!