PDA

View Full Version : Converting your ATPL into a Degree

Jinkster
22nd Mar 2004, 09:13
Would it be true it is possible to convert an ATPL into a degree?

Any info on this would be much appreciated.

Jinkster :ok:

pa28biggles
22nd Mar 2004, 09:27
I'm afraid the short answer to this is no.
However there are degrees out there, where as part of a degree you do practical flying training and theory. I am not too sure of location and of the details, such as whether they teach PPL or ATPL theory.
London Guildhall comes to mind, Leeds uni with Leeds Flying School offer a degree course, and there are others. :confused:
If you need any details on these degrees, I am sure a search on this forum will help you.
All the best,
PA28.

scroggs
22nd Mar 2004, 11:02
I'm afraid that there is no way that a JAA ATPL equates to a degree, either in depth or length of study. It's a simplification, I know, but ATPL ground studies are a matter of learning pat answers to specific, known, and often over-simplified questions. Understanding the subjects is a bonus, but not essential to passing the exams. In fact, a real understanding of all the subjects covered in the ATPL would take many years of study - and would most certainly be worthy of degree status!

Scroggs

Hufty
22nd Mar 2004, 11:10
I wish you could do it the other way around.....:cool:

mad_jock
22nd Mar 2004, 12:45
Quite a few of the subjects are degrees in there own right if learned properly, Met for example.

I do think though there are a few Msc's out there which allow you to spring board to directly if you are the holder of a ATPL license. Normally you would require a degree to start a MSc. But how usefull they are actually are is up for debate and they certainly arn't in the same league as a BEng or any other professional degree ( might be better than a BA though :p )

MJ

redsnail
22nd Mar 2004, 17:11
There are a few universities in Australia that recognise avaition qualifications and will reduce the length of time to complete the degree. One of them is the University of Western Sydney, unfortunately they won't be accepting any more distance learning students in the future.
If you had an ATPL and a few years working in the industry etc, you could get up to 50-60% off the degree. (3 years part time + ATPL quals = degree)

Ex Oggie
23rd Mar 2004, 14:02
IIRC when the old NVQ level 4 or 5 was around, if you completed the course, it was recognised as the equivilent of a First Class degree, but I was told only one person ever bothered to get the whole pack signed off!!

Correct me if I am wrong (which I often am!), but don't the Spanish require a degree equivilant before issuing an ATPL?

Flypuppy
23rd Mar 2004, 16:51
Cranfield do an MSc Air Transport Management (http://www.cranfield.ac.uk/soe/postgraduate/msc-airtransport.htm)

The entry requirements are:
Applicants with other academic or professional qualifications are considered on the basis of those qualifications and any relevant work experience.
All entrants will be expected to demonstrate a keen interest in air transport.

Apparently an ATPL is regarded being sufficent. I could be wrong, but if you are really interested you could always get in touch with them to find out more.

They also have an Executive MSc in Air Transport Management (http://www.cranfield.ac.uk/soe/postgraduate/msc-exec-airtransport.htm) which is a part time course spread over 3 years with a number of one week residential professional short courses.

englishal
24th Mar 2004, 07:42
shame there's not a degree out there that incorporated the ATPL subjects, hence a degree holder would be excempt from the ATPL's ;)

EA