PDA

View Full Version : Humberside

reracker
21st Mar 2004, 17:21
BBC Look North news, reported, Wednesday about strong rumours that a lo-co was going to start operations from HUY. I missed it and can't find anything on any news pages about it.

I thought it might get a mention here.

Did any one see it, or have any more rumours ???????

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Hotel Uniform Yankee
21st Mar 2004, 17:40
Talking to one the senior managers, the airport is no closer to signing a low cost airline now then 18 months ago. I think the story was to just to create some publicity for Humberside. As the airport will have competition from another airport in 12 months time at Doncaster !
The airport has always been afraid to let a low cost airline in. This is because it could cause competition for Eastern and KLM. Ryan Air looked at the airport a couple of years ago but the airport was not keen of the fact they wanted everything for nothing.

niknak
21st Mar 2004, 18:54
The big problem that HUY would have in letting a low cost operator in would be that it would almost ineviatebly be only on the Amsterdam service, and although this would be good news for some of the passengers, it would be very inconvenient for the majority because there would be no onward interline facility.

Since KLM pulled the Stansted - AMS service, we've seen a significant number of passengers coming up from the Stansted catchment area to use the NWI - AMS KLM flights purely because they can interline onward with no hassle.

Low cost is great if you have nowhere else to go.

MD11FAN
21st Mar 2004, 19:13
Niknak,

I agree with your comments but can't see why this would be a problem for Ryanair since they shun airports like Schiphol. If another loco..Easyjet/BMIbaby etc came to HUY they might deem the demand for a service to Amsterdam is not sufficient. I suspect that @80% of KLM passengers connect at Schiphol onto other flights. Looking at other UK airports; surely if Teeside, Exeter, Bournemouth etc can support loco services then why not Humberside?

Matt

MEFLYBE
21st Mar 2004, 19:56
There is a market for flights in the 100 seat low fares category from HUY to Belfast, Dublin, Jersey, Amsterdam, Paris, Prague, Barcelona, Faro, Palma, Malaga and Alicante at least! EUjet with F100s or Flybe. with Q400s and 146s would be ideal for HUY!

Regards

Mike

MEFLYBE
21st Mar 2004, 21:58
Gotta say if i had the dosh i'd be straight in there!

2 F100s

A/C 1

HUY-AGP-HUY 1235
HUY-FAO-HUY 4
HUY-DUB-HUY 12345
HUY-AMS-HUY 12345

HUY-AMS-HUY 6
HUY-DUB-HUY 6
HUY-AGP-HUY 6

HUY-FAO-HUY 7
HUY-DUB-HUY 7
HUY-AMS-HUY 7

A/C 2

HUY-PMI-HUY 135
HUY-ALC-HUY 24
HUY-CDG-HUY 12345
HUY-BFS-HUY 12345

HUY-CDG-HUY 6
HUY-BFS-HUY 6
HUY-ALC-HUY 6

HUY-ALC-HUY 7
HUY-CDG-HUY 7
HUY-BFS-HUY 7

Possible growth into other markets such as GVA (winter), Nice, Barcelona and Prague, with London Gatwick being very optomostic lol!

Regards

Mike

onion
21st Mar 2004, 22:33
humberside has a good catchment area (if maybe little) but someone like flybe or another airline with a similar sort of outlook with smaller aircraft, 70 seaters eg dash 8 400 or F70, would make a killing. Plus there is the oil industry and the shipment of crews from the docks. I am surprised that eastern hasn't done anything more out of either humberside or teesside. Good luck to humberside

Chillwinston
22nd Mar 2004, 12:35
While on paper the catchment area of HUY looks good, Hull, Grimsby etc etc the problem is 3 fold :-

1. N. Lincs / Hull / E. Riding have excellent rail and motorway networks.

2. People from the North Bank (Hull etc) would sooner jump on the train or pop down the motorway to other airports rather then spend £2.50 each way to cross the Humber Bridge

3. What scheduled routes are on offer from HUY, and the few that are on offer are expensive (Amsterdam or Aberdeen). As for charter flights, to fly from HUY you incurr a surcharge.

Hope a lo-co has the guts to challenge this virtually untapped market and the airport has the bottle to let in such an operator as in a year or two Finngley will have that area stitched up with no hope for HUY to enter

MEFLYBE
22nd Mar 2004, 13:09
I'm glad this is a discussion forum because I have to disagree with you chillwinston :(

Hull, Grimsby, Lincoln DO have OK rail links, and some good road links, but HUY is also at the meeting of several major roads, and is just as accessible from Hull, Grimsby, Lincoln, S****horpe and Doncaster as other airports in the area. Look at the location of LBA, awful road and rail links and they have just processed their 2millionth annual passenger!

As far as the bridge toll is concerned, research conducted by HUY has shown that the majority of pax actually come from the North bank!

Yes, HUY flight supps ARE more than say MAN or EMA, but by the time petrol, expensive airport parking and the intangible factors such as convenience, quick processing through the terminal are included, HUY is way out on top!

Again, Finningley, this gets me right wound up! lol

NCL and MME, CWL and BRS, LPL and MAN, EDI and GLA ALL these pairings exist in relative harmony, why would Finningley suddenly 'steal' all of HUY's flights??? I have a friend who's company is working on Finningley, he was under the impression that long haul 747s would be operating from Finningley in NO time! if this is the tripe the actual workers involved are being fed, how can the project be taken seriously?!?!

Regards

Mike

Capt BK
23rd Mar 2004, 06:42
As a local Hull resident but not yet a real pilot I have to say that from my experience a low-cost operator running selected routes from HUY would be profitable.

Most people I know looking for european holidays first check if humberside go there before checking elsewhere and I also know a lot of people that fly from LBA on buisness. I regularly use both airports for private aircraft and door to door by car HUY is 45mins, LBA due to it's location is 1hr 40mins! MAN works out about 2hrs assuming you don't hit traffic between Leeds and Manchester.

I have to agree with MEFLYBE when I hear people say that when Finningly opens HUY will virtually shut down and you will be able to fly right around the world within seemingly a couple of months???? I'm sorry but I just can't see it. I'm sure it will develop and be successful but lets be realistic.

As I understand it the Humber Bridge tolls are the second most expensive in the UK however those of us on the north bank are more then happy to pay it to get to HUY, but remember that it is the only place worth going to in N. Lincs:D Only joking.

It reminds me a little of train services from Hull, until only a few years ago there was only one direct train to London a day (leaving at about 0630 I believe) and the networks would not increase due to an apparent lack of demand. A private company listened to the outcry and started Hull Trains running several direct trains a day and last year they were the biggest expanding and one of the most profitable providers in the UK. For some reason there is still a belief that us northerners can't aford to, and don't want to fly to places unless we are going on holiday for a fortnight:rolleyes: There is a market for buisness travel and European scheduled services from HUY if anyone wants it??

zed3
23rd Mar 2004, 07:08
Living in the southern part of the Netherlands and having a flat in Scarborough , I regularly fly Dusseldorf to Manchester and train it across the Pennines (when I don't drive , which is only 30 mins longer door to door!). IF I could fly DUS HUY there is firstly the bridge , the last time I flew AMS HUY about 15 years ago the taxi ride to Hull was £25 +/- . That's £50 return!!! Secondly add the train to that . I'm sure that balancing time and price my DUS MAN is still the best route . The train is not so bad , around 3 hours and with my beer , sandwich and Daily Telegraph the time passes quickly! For those who ask why I don't use AMS well it's a three hour drive from here and then you have to be there around 90 - 120 mins before dep! If anyone has an update on the HUY Hull connections it would be appreciated , then all I need is the loco DUS HUY flight!

Chillwinston
23rd Mar 2004, 10:24
MEFLYBE - My point was / is....... what does HUY have to offer to the general public, with two scheduled routes to Amsterdam and Aberdeen (and these are not cheap compared to LO-Co prices and check out the Eastern Aw web site for the flight to Aberdeen!!)

The airport has concentrated on the charter flights and has NOT attracted any NEW scheduled operators including Lo-Co's , why is this?

Think we all agree that there is a potential market for such services but why are there not such flights operating? Is this really the airport owners against such operators?

A good little airport we all agree but please lets have some choice other than holiday charter destinations and two scheduled services.

The future has to be a lo-co operating from the airport and sooner rather than later before Donny International is opened

MEFLYBE
23rd Mar 2004, 10:29
Access to HUY in trems of public transport has greatly improved in recent times, there are now direct, fast and frequent coach services provided by Stagecoach to Hull, Grimsby, S****horpe etc, and Barnetby rail station is a 5 minute drive away for access further afield such as Leeds, York, Manchester and Doncaster. Taxis to Hull are still fairly expensive, but the bus service is excellent.

zed3, in years gone by, an airline called Skyrover operated HUY-DUS initially with a banderante, but later upgrading to a SH330, the route performed very well in the summer, but winter loads could not support a service. I don't think HUY-DUS will ever come back to be honest, but DUS would be the German destination of choice if anything, going on past performance. Eurodirect operated HUY-STN-HAM but i am unaware of what the loads were like. I don't know exactly where you live zed3, but how would the Vbird MAN service suit you? bound to be cheaper than BA of Lufty.

I really can't see it being too long until a loco goes into HUY, but I fear that in this case, if Finningley gets one first, HUY would find it very difficult to source sufficient pax to make a loco voable.

Regards

Mike

chill, I can see your point, and it would appear that the HUY team do little to attract any new Schedule services. I do not know why, I know they refused FR's charges requests, maybe its the same with others?? But in any case, HUY cannot force airlines to start services, and if letting them in incurrs a loss, is it really that wise?? On the other hand one must speculate to accummulate!

The KLM route to AMS is not too pricey, fares of £99 rtn are obtainable with careful planning. Eastern is expensive full stop, and hey if they can get away with charging what they do, so would I! lol

HUY does have a lot to offer the general public, it's IT programme will be bigger than MME's this year, and it has many repeat customers, as was said, local pax try HUY first and if what they want is not available, they sensibly go elsewhere.

I dunno, I have moved away from the area, but I just see potential, whether or not anyone sees that and scts will remain to be seen.

Regards

MIke

zed3
23rd Mar 2004, 12:43
MEFLYBE.....I live in a village just south of Roermond and work on the Maastricht/Aachen airport at the Eurocontrol Maastricht Upper Area Centre. Dusseldorf is 45 mins drive and Neiderhein about 75 mins , for V-Bird. Whilst the outbound V-Bird time is OK the return is 1115 from MAN and the first train from Scarborough arrives at 1000 IF it is on time!!! That is why I use BA , the times are good and the fares also - mostly. As I said Manchester is probably just as good as anything which is HUY's problem as we mostly agree!!!