PDA

View Full Version : UK pilots based in Germany

FliegerTiger
20th Mar 2004, 14:56
A question to any British pilots based in Germany....

I would like to be based in Germany in the future with a British airline (Easy, Ryanair...), my German is intermediate (ie. good enough for general conversation, but not fluent by any means). Is fluency in the language of the country where you're based essential?

FlyingIrishman
20th Mar 2004, 18:42
Well, let me first of all point out that Ryanair is an Irish airline!!!

Anyway to answer your question, I'm Irish but having operated out of Hahn for my employer to cover over there a few times, let's just say none of the Irish there speak any German at all except maybe a few essential words. This doesn't seem to be a problem as many people in that area will speak decent English because of the American occupation.

It will however please the passengers if you can manage a German PA, but it's not essential to speak the language, I'd say your level of German will help you though.

FliegerTiger
20th Mar 2004, 19:07
Thanks for the reply...that's what I wanted to hear!

Bit of a slip-up with the "British Airline" thing there ....was meant to be "English-speaking"....:O

Wing Commander Fowler
20th Mar 2004, 21:58
Some would say you were stretching the point there too Flieger..... hehe ;)

FliegerTiger
21st Mar 2004, 08:42
FlyingIrishman, what is the Ryanair basing policy like? I expect that a low-hours guy would be posted wherever they want at first, but is it just a matter of time until a transfer to my preferred base could be made?
I heard a rumour that Ryanair are in discussions with Baden-Baden airport....any idea if this is true?

Thanks

FT

FlyingIrishman
21st Mar 2004, 09:13
When you start your line training, you will be operating from wherever they have slots for line training available i.e. you could be doing 5 days in Girona, followed by 5 days in Stansted, followed by 5 days in Skavsta, etc. depending on where there's room for you.

Once you receive your contract of employment they will ask you what your base preference is, but if that base is full then you'll be put on the waiting list and initially be based wherever they need you. Hahn is a fairly popular base with all nationalities though, so I don't know what the waiting list is.

Regarding the discussions with Baden-Baden, I couldn't tell you exactly what they're up to and we normally aren't told until the information has gone public.

Hope this helps...

FliegerTiger
21st Mar 2004, 09:16
It certainly does,

Thanks

oh-oh
21st Mar 2004, 15:43
Quote: FlyingIrishman
"because of the American occupation."

I'm sorry, I must have missed that war, or is it WW2 you are referring to?

:confused:

tom de luxe
21st Mar 2004, 16:49
I'm sorry, I must have missed that war, or is it WW2 you are referring to?

Looks as if he is...

A bit of history here:
HHN began life as the second largest USAF base in Germany, hosting the 50th Tactical Fighter Wing from 1953 - 1993, and also - allegedly :E- loads of nukes (do a Google search for the 50th tactical and have a close look at their shield;) ). As a consequence, and unlike other places such as Rhein Main AB, or Ramstein AB, Hahn AB never appeared on "ordinary" maps (i.e. those available to the general public) before ca. 1991 or so, and on those maps that were available, the area was always drawn in a somewhat "distorted" way so as to cover up on the fact that something biggish had been left off the map... Quite futile really, because loads of locals were either employed at Hahn AB, or in businesses catering for USAF personnel off-base, and those who weren't saw/heard the aircraft flying. I don't think there was anyone living within a 100 mile radius around Hahn AB in Germany, France, or Luxembourg, who was NOT aware of its existence.